MG08 Maxim on sled mount

dunmore1774

I think this belongs in "spoils of war" but MODS feel free to move to wherever you feel appropriate... anyway....

took a drive to a place I havent been since I was a kid  (Milltown, PA) and forgot all about this wonderful piece.  MG 08 Maxim machinegun on sled mount.  Just seemed serendipitous to stumble across this again, so close to Armistice day.  Many thoughts,  first of all, glad to see that this survived after over a century of sitting outside.  Also, how did these get to VFW's and American Legion posts? Gifts of the US military?  Also, it reminded me of a fantastic documentary done by BBC? called Timewatch- Last Day of WW1 (or something like that)- may be the best doumentary I have ever seen.  It analyzed the war by looking at the final casualties of the war--  commanders sending men to their deaths on the morning of the last day of the war, KNOWING THE WAR WAS ENDING IN A FEW HOURS. 

I can only imagine the number of lives lost on the other end of the barrel of this piece.

Many thanks to our Vets on Veteran's Day.  Also thoughts of the original Armistice Day, back when they believed there could be an end to all wars

20221110_112329.jpg

20221110_112318.jpg

20221110_112341.jpg

20221110_112353.jpg

20221110_112401.jpg

i completely agree, but it would be soooooooooo tempting  😇  Darn those ATF rules !!!  it's history, not modern weaponry...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2022 at 3:07 PM, dunmore1774 said:

I think this belongs in "spoils of war" but MODS feel free to move to wherever you feel appropriate... anyway....

took a drive to a place I havent been since I was a kid  (Milltown, PA) and forgot all about this wonderful piece.  MG 08 Maxim machinegun on sled mount.  Just seemed serendipitous to stumble across this again, so close to Armistice day.  Many thoughts,  first of all, glad to see that this survived after over a century of sitting outside.  Also, how did these get to VFW's and American Legion posts? Gifts of the US military?  Also, it reminded me of a fantastic documentary done by BBC? called Timewatch- Last Day of WW1 (or something like that)- may be the best doumentary I have ever seen.  It analyzed the war by looking at the final casualties of the war--  commanders sending men to their deaths on the morning of the last day of the war, KNOWING THE WAR WAS ENDING IN A FEW HOURS. 

I can only imagine the number of lives lost on the other end of the barrel of this piece.

Many thanks to our Vets on Veteran's Day.  Also thoughts of the original Armistice Day, back when they believed there could be an end to all wars

20221110_112329.jpg

20221110_112318.jpg

20221110_112341.jpg

20221110_112353.jpg

20221110_112401.jpg

US Army captured so many 08's by wars end serious thought was put into rechambering them for .30 US, for reasons I have forgotten instead they were given away to those who purchased  large amounts of war bonds and various patriotic organizations.

Usually the Lock was removed and the feed pawl lever cut off making them unable to be fired