Vietnam era M1 Need help on Heat Stamp

phillock

Hi Team

I need an ID on this lid , what I can make out is 9  F are the only markings. It has no front or reverse seam.

The liner is Firestone 63 F 0 1, 63 is on top Firestone logo underneath and 0 1 to thebottom right

The webbing is DSA-1-4813? D415-153-6874? The numbers are not clear.

What I make it so farFire stone 63 liner with 64/65 webbing, 1968 dated mitchell cover and a 1968 Parish lid???

If you can ID the Lid and strapping to date the complete Helmet 

cheers

Phill

M1 Helmet Vietnam Lid-2.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Lid-1.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Heat Stamp 9 F Lid-2.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Mitchell Green Leaf Cover Lid-2.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Mitchell Brown Cloud Cover Lid-3.jpg

Firestone Liner 63 F 01-5.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Swivel Bail R Lid-1.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Chin Strap Lid-1.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Phil, the fact the straps are sewn on is an indication it’s an earlier helmet.  The 1951 Mccord run, and all subsequent production runs for the M1 helmet used metal clips to attach the chinstraps to the bales.  

I believe what we’re looking at is a very late-WWII helmet that was re-finished for the vietnam period; assuming the liner & cover are original to it.

The paint looks appears to be an odd shade that I don’t quite recognize, it might just be the lighting but is the shell itself pitted towards the top?  It’s possible it was reworked separately and paired with the liner and cover to make a period-correct vietnam helmet rig.  If it was recently painted/messed with, it could explain why you’re not seeing the seam as clearly as you usually can.  More pictures would help to give a definitive answer.

Hi Cav Combatant

Is there any other images you want to see? How about the Heat stamp I couldnt track that down , could it be a Parish/Dana corp lid late60's?

Helmets are not my area , however this will make a good Vietnam  era display.

I habe a 1942/43 McCord with a 1942 Westinghouse Liner and a 2006 MICH helmet for my GWOT Era.

cheers

Phill

CavalryCombatant

I would think your helmet is actually a Mccord, not a Parish/Dana, if you look at the heat stamp and there’s an “S” below the number, it’s a schluter.

Pictures of the seam area, especially from below, would possibly help but I’m pretty sure it’s a late-war mccord made around 44-45. I would wager it’s going to be a high-three digit or a low four-digit lot number.

It definitely looks to have been repainted recently.

Thanks Team for your input really appreciate it.

Yes 326thAB,Cav Combatant

Looks like its been repainted.

I think I have ID front seam Top and bottom looks like its been heavilly painted and welded over(?) and the back.

I am using a jewellers mag glass but can only make out 9 F and a possible lower 0

The top paint is a green colour, I read it was a colour used for Vietnam era helmets and the obverse is definitely OD.

cheers

Phill

M1 Helmet Vietnam Lid-5.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam Top seam-7.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnam inside seam-6.jpg

M1 Helmet Vietnamreverse inside seam-8.jpg

Hi Team

I found this article on early WWII McCord Heat Stamp # 9 E  early wartime manufacture M-1 Helmet.

9 F is the only marking I can find and looked all  under the lid.

Could this have been as Cav Combatant has pointed out a WWII McCord however an early wartime made , refurbished and reissued?

I stumbled across this article Military Collector & Historian 2018 Marc W Giles. Helmet Lot and lift numbers and the use there of.

cheers

Phill

McCord Early marking.jpg

Hi

Using my phone at the moment so not getting the best view of the pictures.

I’m I correct, is it a front seam stainless steel rim M1?

looking at one of the pictures is there a dimple just in front of the left hand loop bracket on the inside of the helmet?

If so could it be a converted fixed loop helmet hence the low heat lot number?

Hi Riddler

I beleive after looking at it thorughly and posting the image post#8 it is a front seam helmet.

Unsure if stainless steel rim , it has been heavilly repainted on the top and the bottom there is some flaking , my WWII McCord stamped April 1942 lid which the paint has worn away around the rim for comparison which is stainlss steel.

Sorry mate dont know what you refer to as a dimple, there are no marking in or around loop bracket.

On the brackets are 3 weld marks repost #3

cheers

Phill

12 hours ago, phillock said:

Hi Team

I found this article on early WWII McCord Heat Stamp # 9 E  early wartime manufacture M-1 Helmet.

9 F is the only marking I can find and looked all  under the lid.

Could this have been as Cav Combatant has pointed out a WWII McCord however an early wartime made , refurbished and reissued?

I stumbled across this article Military Collector & Historian 2018 Marc W Giles. Helmet Lot and lift numbers and the use there of.

cheers

Phill

McCord Early marking.jpg

Lovely helmet, for sure. Lot stamps can be a tricky business identifying, especially when weak stamped.

You have a Ww2 McCord shell, with, I believe lot stamp 109xF (possible 99xF) it is a front seam, manganese rim, with low carbon steel loops. They look factory made, up to the rim. It cannot be 119xF or anything below 99xF. Try and take some more images of the stamp, different angles, different lights, maybe water or power. More eyes always looks better.
McCord M1 lot stamps start by lot 25 and there are never spacings in the stamp (well not 100% true, - for another thread). Giles‘ stamp no 4 (and 5 for that matter) in his otherwise fantastic article, is mis-identify. It is not a 9 E shell (no such thing) but at least 9xE, as you can clearly see there is something there.

Hi Denmark

Thanks for your input, I have viewed it from differant angles, lights and my jewllers mag glass.

Below is another angle.

Note the red marked area I cannot make out any marking compared to the 9  F and the blue pointed  is a faint partial lower right "O" but it does not compare to the same as the 9 mark and there are other marks very similar around to make it part of the patina of the helmet.

cheers

Phill

M1 Helmet Vietnam Heat Stamp 9 F Lid-1 (2).jpg

Team really appreciate all the input

Summing up as per Cav Combatant and Denmark.

This is a WWII McCord shell ,front seam, late war,manganese rim, low carbon steel loops factory made.

The only issue now remains the paint, it is definitely a green paint that has been heavilly applied, more likely well after WWII.

It appears to me to be purposely repainted, note on the left side of the helmet has been marked I I I I I bars and you can feel the markings which has has slightly marked  the cover.

So did they refurbish WWII shells for use post WWII???

cheers

Phill

M1 Helmet left side.jpg

4 minutes ago, phillock said:

So did they refurbish WWII shells for use post WWII???

Absolutely, WWII shells, even fixed bails, were used until the m1 was phased out. If it wasn't broken it was refurbished if needed and reissued.