69 dated Special Forces Green Beret

Speedor

Just came today

zdjcie004.jpg

zdjcie003g.jpg

it didn't have any flash sewn on or sewing marks, so I acquired period correct 5th SF flash. The crest came with the beret and is marked D22.

Mercenary25

Nice beret. If I were you, I wouldn't tampering it by sew the flash on. Then it won't be considered as authentic anymore so technically speaking that you're going to ruin piece of history. Just my 2 cents.

Mercenary25
Do I detect there the shadow where the crest had been?

Same here. I have some reason to believe this beret may be used.

Yes, the crest was pinned to the beret when I took it out of the package. It has no marks of use as far as I can see. Even if used, it was used very little, it's in pristine condition.

Yes, the crest was pinned to the beret when I took it out of the package. It has no marks of use as far as I can see. Even if used, it was used very little, it's in pristine condition.

If you sew it on, it'll increase the value. As long as the thread, flash, and crest are period correct. Most likely, you'll want to have it machine stitched on. The thread should be cotton or cotten polyester blend. If you shave the beret after the crest and flash are on, then you will have a nice field/ used looking beret. These things are reproduced daily, so I doubt you'll be hurting the market value. Of the Vietnam berets in my collection, I have only the ones that I have gotten from the vets themselves. These things are very common to stumble upon, therefore, you might want to go after the pieces that are ID'd to the vet. Most SF guys maked their "green beenies" up with a special code that could be used to identify them.

If you sew it on, it'll increase the value. As long as the thread, flash, and crest are period correct. Most likely, you'll want to have it machine stitched on. The thread should be cotton or cotten polyester blend. If you shave the beret after the crest and flash are on, then you will have a nice field/ used looking beret. These things are reproduced daily, so I doubt you'll be hurting the market value. Of the Vietnam berets in my collection, I have only the ones that I have gotten from the vets themselves. These things are very common to stumble upon, therefore, you might want to go after the pieces that are ID'd to the vet. Most SF guys maked their "green beenies" up with a special code that could be used to identify them.

Why the need for cotton or polyester thread? I still have some old Khaki shirts that had the chevrons, SSI etc sewn on with nylon thread from the 50's and 60's. Some were sewn in shops and others by parachute riggers. I will admit that you were limited to colored thread with the riggers, usually White or OD.

It looks as if it had the crest attached at one time, but not the flash. A friend of mine was attached to the 10th SF Group in Germany in the late 1960s but was not SF qualified. He just had an MOS that the group needed at that time. Anyway, he was allowed to wear the beret with the crest but without a 10th Group flash.

It looks as if it had the crest attached at one time, but not the flash. A friend of mine was attached to the 10th SF Group in Germany in the late 1960s but was not SF qualified. He just had an MOS that the group needed at that time. Anyway, he was allowed to wear the beret with the crest but without a 10th Group flash.

That was my understanding of it too...

Why the need for cotton or polyester thread? I still have some old Khaki shirts that had the chevrons, SSI etc sewn on with nylon thread from the 50's and 60's. Some were sewn in shops and others by parachute riggers. I will admit that you were limited to colored thread with the riggers, usually White or OD.

Cotton and cotton polyester are for the earlier periods covering the close of WW2. It burns better than the nylon and can be easily passed.

RANDALL 1953

Its a very nice beret whether you sew the flash on or leave as is to display. I would not mind having one like that in my collection.

Thanks for the opinions, I'm just starting my SF collection after years of collecting Vietnam airborne stuff.

I didn't realize that the berets were also used without the flashes. I'm still pondering whether to sew the flash on or not, it's a nice mint period patch too, you know :)

Thanks for the opinions, I'm just starting my SF collection after years of collecting Vietnam airborne stuff.

I didn't realize that the berets were also used without the flashes. I'm still pondering whether to sew the flash on or not, it's a nice mint period patch too, you know :)

you could always just pin the flash on