Flea Market Find - USMS Shoulder Boards (ID: MSTS Boards)

Tonomachi

I picked these up at the flea market this morning real cheap.  I thought they were USN shoulder boards but when I got them home I tried to look them up and I believe they are Second Engineer US Maritime Service shoulder boards.  They are made by GEMSCO.  I was wondering how you date something like this and what are the uncut bullion propellers maybe collar insignia?

DSCF3092.JPG

DSCF3093.JPG

DSCF3094.JPG

I just noticed that each shoulder board has a different button.  Could one be peacetime merchant marines and the other wartime US Maritime Service?

DSCF3095.JPG

46 minutes ago, Tonomachi said:

I just noticed that each shoulder board has a different button.  Could one be peacetime merchant marines and the other wartime US Maritime Service?

DSCF3095.JPG

The buttons on the shoulder boards are irrelevant USMS they came with bout, depending on availability. The propeller patches are a pair of sleeve insignia for the dress blue jacket. They go over the tank lace. 

Salvage Sailor

Correctimundo,

Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS), after the United States Maritime Service (USMS) and prior to the Military Sealift Command (MSC)