Another E-Bay WW2 M-1 up for your consideration!

P-59A

This helmet was on Facebook very recently, on the "Make Bid" page, if I remember correclty. It didnt sell there. The seller is banking that the Rayon transitional liner will fetch top dollar. 

The first thing that cought my eye was the fuzzy chin strap. The second thing was the laundry number in the liner. Normally an Officer laundry number starts with an O-XXXX, thier have been exceptions, but its not the norm. Then the other stuff like Captain bars on the pot and a Majors insignia on the liner, The bails I leave to someone else to offer a better opinion than I. For that kind of money I don't expect to see things that dont add up right off the bat.

I noticed the chinstrap stitching (that was mostly out of view in every picture) looks like a box stitch pattern and not a factory bar-tack.

I'll play devils advocate a little here.

I don't think the chinstraps have any issues tbh. From the photos provided they look OK. I think the "fuzz" that's being seen is likely dust/pet hair that's clinging to the chinstraps. The hardware looks ok to me and the stitching looks like the normal factory stitching from the few pictures they can be seen. The laundry number format doesn't bother me much as it's known that sometimes officers would use the enlisted laundry number format. One thing that also caught my eye is the fact that the paint was removed on the liner where the Major insignia was painted. The liner could have potentially had captains bars that were then removed upon receiving a promotion.

The biggest thing I don't like is the mismatch in rank between the helmet and liner. If the ranks were swapped I could potentially see an argument for how that might make sense. But for the helmet to still have Captain's bars is perplexing.

I think if you look at them individually the liner and shell both stand a chance at being legit. If I were a betting man though I would wager that the set is married though. As usual, more/better pictures would help this one.

The seller says it is absolute mint. It is very clean, nice and complete. Maybe a 9 out of 10 but not mint. 

9 hours ago, john k said:

I noticed the chinstrap stitching (that was mostly out of view in every picture) looks like a box stitch pattern and not a factory bar-tack.

Noticing a different angle (the first pic) it does look like bar-tack stitching.  

On 11/3/2022 at 8:03 PM, Nickman983 said:

I'll play devils advocate a little here.

I don't think the chinstraps have any issues tbh. From the photos provided they look OK. I think the "fuzz" that's being seen is likely dust/pet hair that's clinging to the chinstraps. The hardware looks ok to me and the stitching looks like the normal factory stitching from the few pictures they can be seen. The laundry number format doesn't bother me much as it's known that sometimes officers would use the enlisted laundry number format. One thing that also caught my eye is the fact that the paint was removed on the liner where the Major insignia was painted. The liner could have potentially had captains bars that were then removed upon receiving a promotion.

The biggest thing I don't like is the mismatch in rank between the helmet and liner. If the ranks were swapped I could potentially see an argument for how that might make sense. But for the helmet to still have Captain's bars is perplexing.

I think if you look at them individually the liner and shell both stand a chance at being legit. If I were a betting man though I would wager that the set is married though. As usual, more/better pictures would help this one.

I think it’s a legit helmet too. No doubt. Not one for my shelf but that just personal preference.  Rarely do these helmets and liners specifications match up perfectly in a neat little package in all categories.

That’s where the “gut check” and instinct come in. Probably the strongest factor in authenticating helmet sometimes after handling many.  Haha. 

Z

1 hour ago, USMC-RECON0321 said:

I could swear I've seen this liner in the past, but not connected to a shell.  I could be wrong though.  

I've seen it as well 

12 hours ago, Paddyd00 said:

I think it’s a legit helmet too. No doubt. Not one for my shelf but that just personal preference.  Rarely do these helmets and liners specifications match up perfectly in a neat little package in all categories.

That’s where the “gut check” and instinct come in. Probably the strongest factor in authenticating helmet sometimes after handling many.  Haha. 

Z

“That natural look men look for”

C0826DFB-EE3B-482A-911B-86B1B765F66C.jpeg

I agree that liner is not original to helmet - first no scrap marks on the metal pins and second looks like a ghost shadow on the chinstrap on the liner and looks like

the chinstrap was on top of the liner for a bit.   My sense is the liner was on it's own for awhile.   Also why would the liner still have the chinstrap attached on the top and then still fit inside the helmet???

just my 2 cents

16 hours ago, Sneaky said:

“That natural look men look for”

C0826DFB-EE3B-482A-911B-86B1B765F66C.jpeg

Hey thanks for using my mud camo lid 😂 unfortunately mine came without ponytail

I think both the shell and liner are original, but it is hard for me to say that they belong together.  Most likely a put together in my eyes. It is not just the rank that does not match.  The liner saw actual use whereas the shell looks like it never left the USA.

Some officers wrote their laundry number like enlisted men (first letter of surname + last four of OSN), so that is not worrying to me. I own an example like this and I have seen several others as well.

I think it is overpriced for what it is.  If it was matching and identified it could be a $1,000 helmet, but that is not the case.