WW II Computers

Brian Keith

Brian Keith

post-1549-1236101364.jpg

Lid off, more dust, and some wheel thing on top, lets see what is under this lid.

post-1549-1236101376.jpg

A bunch of these things in the original box.

Brian Keith

post-1549-1236101604.jpg

post-1549-1236101531.jpg

Box says:

COMPUTER; TRUE AIRSPEED

TYPE G-1

SPECIFICATION NO. 27367-A

MANUFACTURER'S DRAWING No. A-22262-C

ORDER No. 42-18050-P

CROWE NAME PLATE & MFG. CO.

CHICAGO

Great find! Garcia Aviation has had those for sale for quite a while (I got mine about 15 years ago). Great display items!!

-Ski

brandon_rss18
Are they Windows Vista compatible?

They HAVE to be Apple OS X, if they were Windows related they would not have lasted this long, and the aircrew couldnt afford crashes. ;)

El Bibliotecario

I was initally flummoxed when I saw the crate photo--I was expecting something a little bigger.

Thirty years ago I served briefly with an old warrant officer who had been at either Edgewood Arsenal or Aberdeen Proving Ground (I forget which) during the war. He said the computer the army was using at the time filled a building the size of a two story residential house. I'm not sure, but I think it was used to produce ballistic tables. It would typically compute for no more than a few minutes before one of its thousands of vacuum tubes would burn out and it would go down. He stated it had about the same capacity as a 1970s pocket calculator.

Well, you've got plenty of trading material for next oh... 150 years!

Seriously, how many are in there?

Brian Keith

The computer jokes are probably pretty good, if I knew enough about "modern" computers to get them!

The crate was about 3/4 full when I bought it, and there were just over 100 in it. I think it must have held 125 originally. There are no markings on the crate. Paper labels have been removed.

El B- that is a great story about the WW II electronic computer. I have no doubt it is true. The tremendous spending on research during WW II laid the ground work for the good years of the US for decades! At the same auction I got this crate, I got components of WW II fax machines, TV electronics and a bunch of radar electronics, bought surplus post war.

BKW

El Bibliotecario
The computer jokes are probably pretty good, if I knew enough about "modern" computers to get them!

The crate was about 3/4 full when I bought it, and there were just over 100 in it. I think it must have held 125 originally. There are no markings on the crate. Paper labels have been removed.

El B- that is a great story about the WW II electronic computer. I have no doubt it is true. The tremendous spending on research during WW II laid the ground work for the good years of the US for decades! At the same auction I got this crate, I got components of WW II fax machines, TV electronics and a bunch of radar electronics, bought surplus post war.

BKW

I'm not trying to quibble, only to learn. Were they FAX machines, or teletype machines?

As for TV, a few months back I saw the remains of the TV guidance equipment for a WW2 glider bomb, but it had apparently ridden the bomb down to the target--it was pretty beat up.

I saw a homemade leather holster for one of those discs. I guess the navigator wore his like stork from animal house wore his slide rule.

Post your extras under the vintage computer section of Ebay. I'd bet there's more interest there than in the WW2 section.

There were fax machines since the 30s. Newspapers used them to transmit photos. A rotating drum held the original and an electric typewriter reassembled the image using keyboard characters.

I remember over 30 years ago there were calendars printed out by computer on old green bar paper. It has the calendar with a picture of the mona lisa made the same way as the old fax machines.

John

I'm not trying to quibble, only to learn. Were they FAX machines, or teletype machines?

As for TV, a few months back I saw the remains of the TV guidance equipment for a WW2 glider bomb, but it had apparently ridden the bomb down to the target--it was pretty beat up.

There were fax machines since the 30s. Newspapers used them to transmit photos. A rotating drum held the original and an electric typewriter reassembled the image using keyboard characters.

I remember over 30 years ago there were calendars printed out by computer on old green bar paper. It has the calendar with a picture of the mona lisa made the same way as the old fax machines.

John

Back in the 1940's these were apparently referred to as "wire photos". I believe I have even heard the term "UPI Wire Photo" in my lifetime.

Don't know what your plans are, but I would be interested in purchasing a couple if you should decide to sell some...

Jim

Very interesting! Not what I expected, given the title.. but true nonetheless.

Amazing how the word has evolved over the years.