Pre M2 Browning tool, maybe Model 1928 or earlier, or even non Browning?

Badger Jack

I have had this tool for about 42 years.

Yes, it is similar to, but it is not not, a 'Butterfly Tool' for the .50 BMG.

I have showed it to several firearms related museums, and submitted it to MANY MG sites/groups seeking information.

Not one could identify it, but pretty much all of the MG sites offered me $100- without an ID- which tells me it is worth 3 to 4 times their offer.

I AM NOT LOOKING TO SELL IT SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK. I AM ONLY ATTEMPTING TO GET A POSITIVE ID FOR MY TOOL COLLECTION.

Thanks to one and all for your consideration and assistance.

Please excuse any spelling/typing errors, I have old eyes and one good hand...

20221028_231050.jpg

20200317_213631.jpg

20200317_213620.jpg

20200317_213610.jpg

20200317_213553.jpg

20200317_213544.jpg

20200317_213534.jpg

Ahhh... can not see an "edit post" option...

For some further clarification, because of the "MUZZLE GLAND' name of one part of the tool, some have suggested that indicates it is for a water cooled MG.

Yes,

it's for a water cooled browning.  Earlier tool for an earlier gun like an MG52 which I own.  It's not the earliest tool, but in the middle.  Value is maybe $100.  Very few MG52's in the country.

I can check my manuals, but it's interwar and that tool is not likely to be in a military manual since most sales of that gun were outside the US.  The later tool which is similar is for an M2 water cooled which has a different water jacket, receiver dimensions and layout.   It's also possible it's for a browning made overseas, but I'd have to dig deeper since some were still made here on contract?  

Rare and desirable are two different things.  I have a number of extremely rare guns/ accessories that have near zero market interest, thus values are not that high to others.  

One day we all sell....or you leave it to an estate rummage or the leftover estate dumpster.

I try to sell to people who actually have a use over those who just "collect" random items.  Your tool has no use to you, but I know a number of other guys with the guns that could actually make the collection more whole and potentially use the tool you seem to know little or nothing about?  If you could be so kind as to let me know about your estate sale, that would be great! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, the 1928 Browning seems to be the only logical origin. I am not familiar with the MG52 designation, and will need to look that one up.

I am not having an estate sale, it is one of MANY, too many, tools I have collected over 50+ years, and one of the few I have not been able to positively identify.

I find it interesting that several MG sites/collectors/users [maybe 9 to date, you included] all rushed to offer me $100 for it... I may be interested in selling, but I would need a better price, since, from my 40+ years working in the firearms business, I am fairly aware of how much an offer for an item will multiply the sale price of that item, often by 3~4 times the dollar amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Yours falls between the one on the left, which actually is rare, and the one on the right which is not rare.   I was happy to pay $200 for the rare one after years of searching.  The seller is the most well known browning part/tool seller in the world, so he knows his pricing.   The one on the right is a significantly improved version of what you have and WW2 vintage. 

1928 Colt tools are significantly smaller and look completely different, because the gun is a fraction of the size.  $100 is a generous offer for what you have even though I never offered you anything for it?  I only mentioned a potential value.  I don't know what you did in the firearms business, but it wasn't research or marketing?  LOL

Everyone has dream that their stuff is rare and expensive, but like I said it will most likely end up at an estate sale selling for a few bucks at best.  Most guys wait too long.

20221127_130720[1].jpg

On 11/27/2022 at 2:28 PM, johnsonlmg41 said:

$100 is a generous offer for what you have even though I never offered you anything for it?  I only mentioned a potential value.  I don't know what you did in the firearms business, but it wasn't research or marketing?  LOL

Everyone has dream that their stuff is rare and expensive, but like I said it will most likely end up at an estate sale selling for a few bucks at best.  Most guys wait too long.

Well, golly gee wiz, thanks for the insult! Marketing and research? Shoot, YOU cannot even show me a picture of the tool in my possession, so where is YOUR experience and knowledge?

Like I said, I worked the business, I know the business, and I know that when a dealer/collector offers you X$ that- more often than not- means it is worth 3x~4x what the offer is: prove me wrong. 

On second thought, do not even reply, I do not know if I can trust anything you have to say on this matter...