Markings on 16" Naval Battleship Training Round

ROCKET

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody out there can identify when and where this particular 16" naval battleship training round was manufactured?  The shell has the following markings:

ADL 53711    5871722BOO1    16 IN     CRA 90H001-008

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide! :)

John

Battleship Shell.jpg

Battleship Shell 2.jpg

Battleship Shell 3.jpg

Battleship Shell 4.jpg

I have one similar. Pull a search here for details. 
CRA= Crane

90=1990

H= 8th Month, August

I need to see a picture of the base and interior. If yours is like mine, it is a cargo round, carrying 660 some cluster bomblets. Uncommon ( rare) - 28 or so were in the Navy inventory when they were supposedly scrapped.

The shell I have is not painted correct. It needs yellow diamonds added to it to denote a cluster munition. The seller mis identified it, ( HC) and did not paint the correct numbers on it ( the driving band has different numbers). He had five, and stenciled them all the same. I have been meaning to repaint it, but at 1550 lbs, I have  nor gotten around to it- a big deal moving it.

6 hours ago, 917601 said:

I have one similar. Pull a search here for details. 
CRA= Crane

90=1990

H= 8th Month, August

I need to see a picture of the base and interior. If yours is like mine, it is a cargo round, carrying 660 some cluster bomblets. Uncommon ( rare) - 28 or so were in the Navy inventory when they were supposedly scrapped.

Thanks for all of the information...I greatly appreciate it! 

I'm curious...does the base of the round unscrew or open up somehow to view the interior?

John

Battleship Shell 5.jpg

If no shear pin holes visible on the OD,  the 4 spanner wrench holes indicate a threaded plug. Soak well with penetrating oil, days, months then fab a 4 pin steel ( or 2) tool and unscrew it. 

You need to look up your “ ADL” number on the Federal Cage code lists. I can’t remember how I found out exactly what my MK 146 16” model was, but it was through the Cage coded numbers, and the ADL number was my starting point. 

As your projectile is original blue, indicating a training round, it is certain to be such. The Cage code will give much detailed information.