National Order of the Legion of the Condor

sjones

I know it is a foreign decoration and will be redirected by the moderators. Anyways, this was awarded to my grandfather’s older brother for flying the President of Bolivia back and forth over the Andes during the war. He was Maj. Richard G. Jones, aide-de-camp to Maj Gen Hubert R. Harmon, Commanding General 6th Airforce. My grandfather was one of five brothers that grew up in a sod farm house on the steppes of Colorado, father being a preacher. All five were pilots during the war with very different experiences.

image.jpg

The enameling is GORGEOUS. The condor hanger looks like a buzzard. Since this was awarded to an American, it is fully allowed on this forum.

Allan

On 10/30/2022 at 6:34 PM, sjones said:

I know it is a foreign decoration and will be redirected by the moderators. .....

Eye popping colors on that foreign order and beautiful design.  I did a double take on that eagle body with a very-un-eagle head.  I wonder what the 3 red and blue devices between each of the four cobalt blue points are?   They look like some kind of pod or blossom.   Foreign awards, orders, decorations to Americans are welcome here, as are American Awards to foreigners.  Thanks for sharing this great medal!

45 minutes ago, aerialbridge said:

Eye popping colors on that foreign order and beautiful design.  I did a double take on that eagle body with a very-un-eagle head.  I wonder what the 3 red and blue devices between each of the four cobalt blue points are?   They look like some kind of pod or blossom.   Foreign awards, orders, decorations to Americans are welcome here, as are American Awards to foreigners.  Thanks for sharing this great medal!

It's the "Flower of the Incas". Bolivia's National flower.

Dave- unfortunately this is the only item I have from any of his brothers and there is no documentation. I have plenty from my Grandfather though.

To the rest, thank you for the comments!