Thoughts on this Westy liner with airborne yokes

phantomfixer

It's a P55 liner and one the oddities of this model. P55 paratrooper liners came from the factory with the a-yokes under the a-washers, as they were done in WWII. Look at the a-yoke buckles, they're most likely flat instead of round. Also, the press rivet is different than the semi-tubular rivets usually found in these "rigger" style a-yokes.

This is the third P55 paratrooper liner I've seen in this configuration. It looks like the post-WWII rigger liners and the Korean-era factory paratrooper liners, which is different from the vast majority that I described above. 

Look to see if it has a tag laminated on the inside, towards the front of the liner. If it has that tag, it will give you the year is was produced. The one in the picture is dated 1956. 

20221030_184633.jpg

10 minutes ago, elh1311 said:

It's a P55 liner and one the oddities of this model. P55 paratrooper liners came from the factory with the a-yokes under the a-washers, as they were done in WWII. Look at the a-yoke buckles, they're most likely flat instead of round. Also, the press rivet is different than the semi-tubular rivets usually found in these "rigger" style a-yokes.

This is the third P55 paratrooper liner I've seen in this configuration. It looks like the post-WWII rigger liners and the Korean-era factory paratrooper liners, which is different from the vast majority that I described above. 

Do you have any pictures of the P55s with the a yolks under the washers? It seems odd to me that they would go from under the washers in WWII, to next to them for Korean war era liners, back under for the P55s and then back to the sides for Vietnam era liners.

I'm not as well versed on postwar liners so I haven't personally seen an airborne example of a P55

29 minutes ago, Nickman983 said:

Do you have any pictures of the P55s with the a yolks under the washers? It seems odd to me that they would go from under the washers in WWII, to next to them for Korean war era liners, back under for the P55s and then back to the sides for Vietnam era liners.

I'm not as well versed on postwar liners so I haven't personally seen an airborne example of a P55

Sure thing. These are from Josh Murray's website. Its one of the P55s he's selling. Coincidentally, he's selling another P55 paratrooper liner with the a-yokes separate from the a-washers. 

20220206_142000_1080x.jpg

20220206_141900_1080x.jpg

20220206_141944_1080x.jpg

31 minutes ago, Nickman983 said:

And here's mine, with separate a-yokes. 

20221030_192101~2.jpg

20221030_192106~2.jpg

20221030_192112~2.jpg

20221030_192140~2.jpg

20221030_192153~2.jpg

20221030_192211~2.jpg

CavalryCombatant

Wouldn’t the sticker be for Micarta liners?  I don’t think I’ve seen any with westy stamped ones.

Great example, by the way, elh

4 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Wouldn’t the sticker be for Micarta liners?  I don’t think I’ve seen any with westy stamped ones.

Great example, by the way, elh

Thanks. My linner has both a Micarta tag and a Westinghouse stamp. 

The whole helmet is a head scratcher. The lid is from the last McCord contract, I think 1964, painted a dark vehicle green and with sewn on North and Judd chinstraps. Been sewn on for quite some time as well. 

CavalryCombatant
2 minutes ago, elh1311 said:

The whole helmet is a head scratcher. The lid is from the last McCord contract, I think 1964, painted a dark vehicle green and with sewn on North and Judd chinstraps. Been sewn on for quite some time as well. 

And people ask me why I don’t collect airborne lids.. haha!  I appreciate the info you’ve shared about these P55s, I’ve never taken the time to look into them that far.

5 minutes ago, elh1311 said:

That's not uncommon. Micarta was a division of Westinghouse.

Still seems odd to me that there are P55s with the yolks both ways. Maybe it started out one way and transitioned to the other? would be interesting to see if there's any documentation on how those airborne liners were manufactured.

Salvage Sailor

A bit of Micarta trivia that's often overlooked.  Westinghouse ASD (Architectural Services Division) Group made office furnishings from Micarta in the 1970's & 1980's, primarily open plan office systems (i.e. cubicles).  It was used for HPL (high pressure laminate) worksurfaces, panels, cabinet faces, desks, drawers, adjustable tables, etc. on a worldwide scale when computers were introduced into the office environment.  This eventually became knows as ASD, then ASD+, then WESGROUP, until they were absorbed by Shaw Walker and Knoll International in the late 1980's

166956661_WestinghouseASD02.jpg.5147e3c6e1a060d9b6f0b735ebe49b8c.jpg

There ya go, now back to the topic...

I also have a post war Para liner that looks much like the above.  It is marked with the Westy logo and the CAPAC logo.  The CAPAC logo has a '51 date beneath it and the Westy logo above it.  Also the A-yokes are press riveted outside the A-washers and, like Usmc2004, I assumed that this was a rigger made Para liner.  Mine is different from the above in that it does have the gromet on front of the liner.  Based on what I have read above, would this liner also be a factory "made that way" liner?

CAPAC3.JPG

CAPAC1.JPG

CAPAC2.JPG

6 hours ago, cgutierrez said:

I also have a post war Para liner that looks much like the above.  It is marked with the Westy logo and the CAPAC logo.  The CAPAC logo has a '51 date beneath it and the Westy logo above it.  Also the A-yokes are press riveted outside the A-washers and, like Usmc2004, I assumed that this was a rigger made Para liner.  Mine is different from the above in that it does have the gromet on front of the liner.  Based on what I have read above, would this liner also be a factory "made that way" liner?

CAPAC3.JPG

CAPAC1.JPG

CAPAC2.JPG

Your liner is a Korean-era CAPAC liner. Exactly the same as a WWII-era liner except the webbing is OD7 HBT instead of OD3 HBT used in WWII. 

CAPAC produced the paratrooper liners with the a-yoke separate from the a-washer at the factory. While it looks like a rigger liner, the only liners that are genuinely "rigger" liners are those that are WWII produced with separate a-yokes.