WW2 US bringback weapons?

dunmore1774

I recently picked up a nice M1 Carbine that is all original.  It walked into a local gunstore and sold for a VERY reasonable price- no humped up item being passed off. Looks like it served its duty and then put away in a closet.

That got me thinking about US service members bringing back US weapons-  some say it never happened, others swear it true from known pieces.  My father-in-law was a MP in Paris during the war and said guys were disassembling their 1911 pistols, cutting a canteen apart, putting it inside, reassemble and mail home.  So what happens when it came to time to turn in the pistol?  How does a larger weapon get sent back?  

Have a few stories from over the years from vets I knew personally. Saw a handful of 45s they brought home. 

One carbine story was from a Navy Corpsman. He stated he was processing home and had his carbine. He was to leave the next day and hadnt turned in the carbine. He didnt want to leave it in the barracks and was there by himself.He said when hegot ready to leave he rolled it in his matress/bedding and put it all in a sea bag he had. Said he walked right out of the gate with it and no one ever asked him or bothered to look in his bags

Those were the days 😀   This past summer, I bought a Vietnam era folding shovel at a flea market. A Vietnam vet saw it and said, "looks like someone got dinged at turn in day, probably got dinged for the cover too, and ...." then he listed all the things he got dinged for not turning in when he was discharged 😁