Picked up a couple of WW1 helmets

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

I have a friend who bought a huge WW1 collection of helmets and uniforms, I picked out 6 helmets, only have two at the moment. The uniforms which were fantastic we're destroyed by weather elements and moths. Naval aviator, army aviator, at least100 uniforms lost, but picked up 75 helmets. There are some really nice camo ones. Here's what I got so far

IMG_20221027_114041484.jpg

IMG_20221027_114053691.jpg

IMG_20221027_114057296.jpg

Heartbreaking to hear about the uniforms which we have seen before on the forum especially with early WW1 AEF collections. Being a uniform collector myself for 30 years makes me want to sell out and just collect swords or medals or something. Great helmets, glad they don't garner the controversy of their WW2 counterparts. 

55 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

I have a friend who bought a huge WW1 collection of helmets and uniforms, I picked out 6 helmets, only have two at the moment. The uniforms which were fantastic we're destroyed by weather elements and moths. Naval aviator, army aviator, at least100 uniforms lost, but picked up 75 helmets. There are some really nice camo ones. Here's what I got so far

IMG_20221027_114041484.jpg

IMG_20221027_114053691.jpg

IMG_20221027_114057296.jpg

Congrats on the acquisition, very nice.

One reason I stopped collecting uniforms, too many things wanted to damage them.

Ken.

BILL THE PATCH

I actually told my friend to stop showing me the moth eaten relic pictures as it was really bumming me out. The uniforms were in a closet that got water damage and them moths. They were in the closets for years without checking them.  The seller is getting old and needs money so decided to sell. Who doesn't look at there own collection? And never checks to make sure there ok? 

Nice helmets! The gentleman that owned these sounds like more of a WWI hoarder than a collector. To not look at or enjoy what you acquire and not even realize how things are degrading just doesn’t sound right. At least some of the history will be in better hands now.

Frank