eBay seller with no-good M1s

Sneaky

3 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

"So much of the conversation today is about money......"

And herein lies the reason why the fakes exist in the first place....Fakes of anything, even outside this hobby....it's everywhere.

When I started collecting US militaria in my teens in the 70's, a helmet was a helmet, unless it was a paratrooper helmet. Along the way, we got smarter and  An original, never-worn WW2 M1 shell and liner could be had for $25-$30. Airborne helmets weren't much more than that. At that time there was no need to reproduce anything, not even boots.

With the prices of high-demand collectibles reaching new highs, onlookers both inside and outside the hobby see opportunity....and it is only because of the potential windfall of $$$$ that they bother in the first place.....not many will try and fake a helmet for $100-$200. Just try and learn your areas of interest as well as possible, as the final decision on when to buy or not to buy is our own choice. Knowledge is your best shield.

6 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

"One last thing to think on: forums have had their day. Most everything is on social media now. All sense of integrity are now lost in those places. And places like this will slowly fade away. Is that harsh? Yes, but it is also reality."

I hope not...social media posts are fleeting, posts are often covered up by new posts and any information gained, is lost in a day....

Forums, and the USMF specifically is and has been a great source for learning, and enjoying this hobby.....

I prefer the forums even when you have to deal with the A-types who focus on you rather than items. Not hard to spot them and just as easy to avoid them. The intent behind the creation of this forum is alive and well. There are good people here who try to help. The ones that don't help but love a sniping game should get the boot. No one knows everything either.

These helmets closing for what they went for does not surprise me. Ebay is a clearing house for all types of fakes. 

3 hours ago, ccmax said:

People buying these helmets are the collectors who don't buy books nor take part in forums.

They have no experience.