Help With Identifying a Purple Heart

Trevor Arendall

Trevor Arendall

Hello all! 

I recently picked up this purple heart and could use the collecting community’s help. During WW2, two men with this exact same of “Manuel Pacheco” were killed in action. Here are the details for the two men…

Manuel Pacheco from Rhode Island - 68th Costal Artillery Regiment - KIA January 26, 1944 in Italy 

Manuel Pacheco from Massachusetts - 149th Engineer Combat Battalion - KIA June 6, 1944 at Omaha Beach 

I was wondering if any other collectors might have the other heart with the same name in their collections and would be able to help me identify which of the two fallen soldiers earned this medal

Thank you! 

E7E51756-4B3B-4F77-BA3D-4B6BA30DC601.jpeg

4AB0A4FD-BE2B-4A76-83F9-F8DB9FAB82A9.jpeg

0F950DDF-BCCD-433E-A64A-73680D9CCFA5.jpeg

Trevor Arendall
15 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

What state did the medal surface?

The seller sourced it from another collector so I am unsure 

You have at least one Manuel Pacheco who served in WW1 as well, 108th Engineers 33rd Div. May not have received a PH but a combat unit.

If you can find NOK for the WW2 guys, one of the families may still have their PH. Can always approach as a researcher looking into the 68th or 149th and not mention the medal in your possession. 

1 hour ago, AustinO said:

You have at least one Manuel Pacheco who served in WW1 as well, 108th Engineers 33rd Div. May not have received a PH but a combat unit.

If you can find NOK for the WW2 guys, one of the families may still have their PH. Can always approach as a researcher looking into the 68th or 149th and not mention the medal in your possession. 

Having a researcher that works NARA St Louis get IDPF files for the two WW II possibilities would provide next of kin information, and possibly other clues.  At the same time requesting the award card for the WW I guy's Purple Heart would help eliminate that.   Plus, if the WW I guy does not have an award card it won't cost you anything.  

Good thoughts, UG! I might also keep an eye out if the other Purple Heart surfaces.  If it comes into collector hands with paper- you'll know yours by process of elimination provided the WWI lead doesn't pan out. 

I believe there is a third Manuel Pacheco who was wounded in Algeria, Morocco, or Tunisia in March 1943.  His service number is different from the other two KIA soldiers.