Has Anyone Seen A 4th Armored Division Patch Like This?

Travd3

Go to solution Solved by Persian Gulf Command,

The short answer is yes I've seen one. My pal has, or should I say had a rather extensive 4th Armor Division collection. He has one like you posted. I believe he said it was a WW1 patch. He is a member on this forum. Hopefully he checks in and comments.

• Solution
Persian Gulf Command

Yes, it's a wool backed embroidered Armored Division Patch. They're colloquially known as "Woolies". Not a common variety but not quite scarce either. Issued in the late 1930's into WW2 until stocks ran out.

Yours looks like it was worn on a uniform as some stitching is seen in the border. Nice Patch!

Thank You both for such quick responses...Interesting info. so the time period would be somewhere between WWI and the 1930's?  Was this made in the U.S. or overseas ? 

FT.Monmouth1943

Neither. These are early/pre WWII (like 41/42 time frame) and US made. Definitely harder to find than the more common fully embroidered examples.

2 hours ago, tthen said:

The short answer is yes I've seen one. My pal has, or should I say had a rather extensive 4th Armor Division collection. He has one like you posted. I believe he said it was a WW1 patch. He is a member on this forum. Hopefully he checks in and comments.

Cant be WW1 as the 4th didnt exist until 1941

Persian Gulf Command
9 minutes ago, Linedoggie said:

Cant be WW1 as the 4th didnt exist until 1941

Agreed, but these patch manufacturers produced numbered patches in anticipation of what they felt the U.S. Army would need going forward.

24 minutes ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Agreed, but these patch manufacturers produced numbered patches in anticipation of what they felt the U.S. Army would need going forward.

PGC is correct. Woolies exist for post war ADs not active in WW 2.  The anticipation proved incorrect for other armor unit patches; Exhibit B - although not a woolie, the XVIII Armored Corps was made instead of the XVIII Airborne Corps. Exhibit C, also not a woolie, VI Armored Corps. Other notable error patches made in anticipation of activation are the 7th, 8th and 9th Ranger Bns.