Photographs of KIA Virginian

Pop45

Hey all, 

Recently I went to my local antique store, while looking through a box of photos I found a set of three photographs named to a Virginian who was KIA in late 1944:

Linwood H. Carter would be born on September 22nd 1918, in Caroline County Virginia, where he would spend most of his life. Following his graduation from High School, he and his brothers would become employed at the Sylvania plant in Fredericksburg, VA(which is still there) up until his enlistment in the Army in September 1943. 

Following the completion of bootcamp, PFC Lindwood Carter would be sent to France, where he would unfortunately be KIA on August 2nd 1944, in Marigny France. PFC. Carter would be reburied in Richmond, Virginia on September 9th 1948.

The information I stated above is unfortunately the extent of the information I have on him and his service, if anyone who knows more about the war in Europe than I do has any information on who he may have served with, etc I would greatly appreciate it.

Linwood Carter 1.jpg

Linwood Carter 2.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 8.13.36 PM.png

1164865565_ScreenShot2022-10-20at8_14_08PM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
CharlieGreer

He’s not stated in any 1st Infantry Division rosters, nor is he mentioned in their “honor roll” of WWII, so I can say with 99% certainty he wasn’t with the Big Red One.

There’s a chance he was in the 3rd Armoured Division? That was the only other American unit fighting in Marigny aside from the 1st Infantry Division.

In July of 1944, Carter was in a field hospital for “chronic sinusitis, frontal”, meaning he was suffering reoccurring sinusitis in the front part of his head. Aside from that, the next time he was listed in hospital records was when we died. The record states that the cause of his death was in the line of duty, and was caused by artillery shell fragments.