Confederate Survivor's Association Badge, Lt. Andrew M. MacMurphy - Staff of Gen. Archibald Gracie

Took a chance on this gorgeous badge on eBay. Barring the enamel damage on the third national flag it's in almost perfect condition. The seller's photos were poor and the engraving was unclear. The seller believed it said "M. MacMurray", I thought the last name looked more like "MacMurphy" and saw what looked like an "A" before the "M". Before bidding I did a little research and it turns out there is exactly one A M MacMurphy on the Confederate rolls. Andrew Mitchell MacMurphy of Augusta, Georgia. Who briefly served as a 2nd Lt. in the 12th Ga. Light Artillery before being detailed to the staff of General Archibald Gracie as his ordnance officer. The name, combined with the fact that most of these badges I've seen are from GA Vets made me relatively confident in my attribution. I decided to bid on the badge and managed to snag it. Lucky for me, I think the bad photos and incorrect description keep the price down on this and I managed to snag it for about half the price of the last Confed. Survivor's Assoc. badge I saw for sale. It finally arrived and clear as day the inscription reads "A. M. MacMurphy".

Prewar
Andrew Mitchell Macmurphy was born c.1830 in Augusta, Georgia. I've been able to uncover little of his prewar life. But I have discovered that in 1858 he married Elizabeth Nisbet Smith. Daughter of the Mayor of Chattanooga, Dr. Milo Smith who would serve as mayor through the early years of the war up until the Union occupation began. The young couple lived in Chattanooga and have one daughter and Elizabeth would sadly die a year after marriage.

Wartime Service
MacMurphy enlisted in the 12th Ga. Lt. Artillery in May of 1862 but his service in this capacity was quite brief. On the rolls of the 12th he is borne as McMurphy but as the badge is engraved MacMurphy, I'm inclined to say it's a spelling/hearing error by the recruiter. In August of 1862 he was promoted to ordnance officer on the staff of General Archibald Gracie. It was in this capacity MacMurphy would serve for the duration of the war. MacMurphy would see his first real combat at Chickamauga where Gracie's brigade would take heavy casualties trying to dislodge George Thomas from his position at Snodgrass Hill. MacMurphy's service merited him a mention in Gracie's official report on the battle where the general offers his "thanks are also due to Lieutenant A. M. Macmurphy, my efficient ordnance officer". In a ironic twist of fate, during the Siege of Chattanooga MacMurphy would personally direct artillery fire into his former hometown.

After the Confederate victory at Chickamauga Gracie's brigade would be detached from the Army of Tennessee and sent east to support Longstreet's campaign in East Tennessee. After being checked by Burnside's corps at Bean's Station Gracie's Brigade would be sent even further east to Virginia. Where they would take part in the Bermunda Hundred Campaign, helping to stave off "Beast" Ben Butler's Army of the James. Caught off guard by Grant's surprise thrust towards Petersburg. MacMurphy would serve alongside General Gracie for much of the siege, notably at Second Petersburg where the rapid arrival of Gracie's Alabamans help stave off disaster. During the subsequent campaign MacMurphy would serve honorably alongside his General, going so far as to decline a promotion to stay on Gracie's staff.

Sadly General Gracie would be killed by a union shell late in the siege. By all indications his loss was keenly felt. However MacMurphy continued to serve on the staff of his successor, General Young M. Moody. With whom he would see the desperate breakout attempt at Fort Stedman, followed by the final surrender at Appomattox. Where MacMurphy is recorded as one of the final parolees.

Postwar

After the fighting ended McMurphy would return to Georgia. Postwar MacMurphy would remarry though have no more children. Living in Augusta for the rest of his days he would operate a sawmill and was evidently active in Confederate Veteran affairs. MacMurphy would die in 1918, and a local Chattanooga newspaper ran his obituary, outlining his absolutely fascinating life.

At any rate, I am over the moon with this recent purchase. Very happy I took a chance on it!

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

McMurphy, Andrew M.jpg

clip_111683647.jpg

Macmurphy, A M.jpg

3 minutes ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

Excellent research!  Love the sword added device, very cool!

Thanks! The last one of these I'd seen for sale was actual on your website.