Will Be Visiting the Atlanta Area. What's Good There?

mikie

Hi,

I will be in the Peachtree City, GA area a little south of Atlanta the first week of November for a wedding.  I know there was a lot of action all around there during the Civil War. But it seems that a lot of the battlefields have not been well preserved.  Does anyone know of any good locations there largely untouched by development?   Also, any suggestions for CW/miltaria shops there?

Thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Mikie  

My Dad lives in Peachtree City. While you are correct that there was a lot of Civil War action all over the area, a lot has been lost to development. If you are willing to drive a bit, I would suggest Kennesaw Mountain to the north and Andersonville to the south (not a battlefield per se but an important CS site). Not sure about militaria shops, but someone else may have some advice for you.

Nash Farm battlefield is close to Peachtree City. Not sure how much there is to see there now. The musem lost most of their private - loaned collections when the county made a big deal about displaying the Confederate flag. 

MajorBonacelli

Most of the Peachtree Battlefield was not preserved and has all been developed. However, there is the Atlanta History Center, which goes over some of the battle as well as hosts the Battle of Atlanta Cyclorama. Its not too far from Peachtree.

Other than that, the Kennesaw Battlefield further north is well preserved. There's a Civil War shop in downtown Kennesaw and you can find some Militaria/Civil War relics in downtown Marietta. Kennesaw also has a very famous train from Union raid in the area during the Civil War, and Marietta has a Civil War/Local History Museum with shop in downtown (the Museum building itself is also very connected with the aforementioned train raid).

40 minutes ago, MajorBonacelli said:

Most of the Peachtree Battlefield was not preserved and has all been developed. However, there is the Atlanta History Center, which goes over some of the battle as well as hosts the Battle of Atlanta Cyclorama. Its not too far from Peachtree.

Other than that, the Kennesaw Battlefield further north is well preserved. There's a Civil War shop in downtown Kennesaw and you can find some Militaria/Civil War relics in downtown Marietta. Kennesaw also has a very famous train from Union raid in the area during the Civil War, and Marietta has a Civil War/Local History Museum with shop in downtown (the Museum building itself is also very connected with the aforementioned train raid).

Oh wow! I'd love to see The General up close and personal. Thanks!

Mikie