Is International Military Antiques a good online source? Looking at getting my first M1917 helmet

SmokeEagleEye

SmokeEagleEye

Hello all, I am a new collector to the hobby and with little experience in way of verifying authenticity on items was curious if someone could help me out here.

I know IMA is quite well known in the world of Militaria colleting with authentic items but seem to be "mislabeled". Was wondering if someone could confirm/deny this as I'm looking at a WWl M1917 on the website with a unique paint scheme done by a Doughboy that I think would be great to add to my collection. Here are a few different images from the website.

EDIT- Not sure why the images are so small and don't think i'm allowed to post the link.

ONSV22TGA59__03_thumb.webp

ONSV22TGA59__06_thumb.webp

ONSV22TGA59__09_thumb.webp

ONSV22TGA59__14_thumb.webp

I would take your time and look around as there are various sellers/dealers.

Advanced Guard Military is a great company and Jeff is well known in the community. He offers a catalog online a few times a year and also has items in the listings that may not have sold. He also attend some of the major shows and always has a nice selection of militaria for all budgets and buyers. 

If you can get to a show its always best to be able to handle as many examples as possible and educate your self in the styles and types of paint and how they look. Speak with other collectors and network to learn as much as you can..Good luck and remember to have fun

I agree with the others here. Be cautious when buying.... from any company or person. Don't rush into a purchase just because you like it, you could be burned. 

As far as IMA goes, I have used them for years and am very satisfied with their products and service. They are higher priced than some others, but they don't mislead. They will tell you if the item is all original, or if it is original and has been refurbished, or if it is a reproduction. Their service is extremely fast and I usually get my products in less than a week.

I realize that others might have different stories but this mine and I'm sticking to it.

And there are militaria companies that give you minimal or misleading information and you end up with a helmet that is not what was advertised. I once purchased an Israeli combat M1, and it turned out to be a Spanish M65 with an Israeli 3-piece chinstrap. Caveat emptor!

BEAR