Model 1864 US Cavalry McClellan Saddle (?) and Related Horse Equipment

Hello,

I recently purchased this saddle from an online auction. It came with a canteen, pommel holsters, crupper, saddle bags, breast plate and carbine boot, The saddle was listed as an original late 19th century saddle. After doing a lot of research, I believe this saddle is actually original pattern 1864 McClellan saddle. The saddle, cinch, leather sweat skirts, D ring leather straps, leather stirrup boots, calf fenders, crupper and breast plate have definitely seen use. However, they are not abused. I can find no maker plate near the left side of pommel. It and all the attached horse equipment have an original look. The breast plate looks like it has a period repair. A strap was broken and stitched together. The leather stirrup boots have had several attempts to be repaired. Looks like they have several different screws to keep them attached to the wood. Is there a way to authenticate the saddle and the horse equipment?

Now for the pattern 1859 saddle bags, cavalry pommel holsters, pattern 1858 bullseye canteen, pattern 1859 carbine boot. These items have original look. They're used but not abused. I can find no maker marks. The leather wear on these items seems to match the leather wear on the saddle. I feel they have been with the saddle for some time. The canteen has the blue wool cover and the leather strap with the iron hook. I believe the leather strap is an 1880s item. The saddle bags had an old rusted tin canister in them. It looks like tin for revolver caps. Is there things to look for to authenticate these items?

I bought the saddle for my Indian wars cavalry display. 

Any feedback is appreciated.

Eric

1864 saddle.jpg

1864 saddle 3.jpg

1864 saddle 1.jpg

1864 saddle 2.jpg

1864 saddle 4.jpg

1864 saddle 5.jpg

1864 saddle 6.jpg

1864 saddle 7.jpg

1864 saddle 8.jpg

1864 saddle 9.jpg

cinch.jpg

crupper 1.jpg

crupper.jpg

l boot 1.jpg

l boot 2.jpg

l boot.jpg

breast plate.jpg

p holster 1.jpg

p holster 2.jpg

p holster 3.jpg

p holster.jpg

1858 canteen 1.jpg

1858 canteen 2.jpg

1858 canteen.jpg

1859 saddle bags.jpg

1859 saddle bags 1.jpg

1859 saddle bags 2.jpg

Hi Eric

Sorry to say but your saddle looks to be a later Model 1904 that has been stripped and rebuilt to look like a CW McClellan, it was probably built and used for reenactment because it has seen use that gives it that aged look.

There are a few things to look out for, the first are the stirrup strap loops, on CW saddles these are a more oval shape not a trapezoidal shape such as yours, if they are brass then your saddle dates to WW1, if not brass then it was probably an earlier model possibly an M1896 or early M1904, are yours brass? Just to mention some CW saddles did have these changed when upgraded to later patterns but there are other pointers, here are just a few more.

The shape of the pommel although this is best illustrated by having a CW saddle next to a later saddle, your rings are held in place with brass foot staples screwed in place rather than iron staples on CW saddles, the stitching quality and the overall look of the leather itself, the brass rings on the quarterstraps these were not brass and D shaped.

The rawhide on converted saddles such as 1904's often have that dark finish all over from where they were once leather covered. Along with the saddle the saddlebags and holsters are modern also, when I say modern it could have been used for reenactment since the 1960's or 70's giving it that well used appearance.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it still displays well having that used look.

Dragoon,

Thanks for the information. I don't have that much money in it and it displays well enough. But I wanted know if it was an original.

looks like a civil war canteen - still has the 3 loops - blue cover looks good (what is the white fuzz? and can it be removed?)

The cork and chain look civil war but the chain would have been attached to one of the loops and not the leather strap.

Not sure the leather strap is civil war as the leather strap (5/8 inch wide if original) and was phased out late 1862 into 1863 but some were found up to 1865.

The strap was changed to a cotton twill strap around 1863 plus the leather strap would have a roller buckle and not a snap hook.

Maybe added post war to adapt to a saddle with the hook.