question: how would a gas casualty be classified on a WW1 discharge?

Marchville1918

Marchville1918

I believe that gas casualties were entitled to a wound chevron, but did their discharge say gassed or wounded or not wounded?

For what it's worth, I have a couple of discharges for soldiers who were gassed. On each of the discharges it says "gassed" under "Wounds Received in Service".

Dennis

If gassed bad enough to warrant medical attention at the time, it would likely show up on a discharge paper as would a wound.

Many doughboys claimed to be (and were) gassed, but didn't end up in a hospital immediately, in which case it would not necessarily show up as a "wound".

• 1 month later...

This is my great-grandfather's discharge record which marks gas under his wounds received (and did qualify or a wound stripe). His platoon was hit directly by a mustard shell (landed about 15 feet away from him) and the guys were unable to get their masks on in time. He was evacuated and spent about 8 months in the hospital recovering before he was allowed to go home, it was a pretty serious injury.

You'll notice it says mustard and chlorine as according to his company unit history, it was part of a creeping barrage that was launching both types at their line. E0319A78-7356-4760-B4CE-DE56BDEB53A5.jpeg.3bf5adb01ef44f61d6e2fa86e9d5235b.jpeg