Commission pennant from subchaser 1384?

LE LOUP DES MERS

LE LOUP DES MERS

I recently picked this up from a local gun show about 3 weeks ago. The seller told me he believes it dates from the early 1900s to about the 1930s. However, the person he bought it from claims it came from subchaser 1384 and the rest of the story is on that paper. It has N 7 stamped next to the brass ring. I want to get your guy's thoughts on this pennant do you think that story is true? Also, I paid $50 for it not sure if that's a good price or not but I knew I had to buy when I saw it. 

IMG_20221008_165600~2.jpg

IMG_20221008_165641.jpg

IMG_20221008_165630.jpg

IMG_20221008_165609_1CS~2.jpg

Neat item in any event. Whoever made the note could have been a bit more specific. Can you confirm what is said on the note about the subchaser? That would be a start.

Salvage Sailor

Something is jumbled up on that Sea Story as it does not fit the history of PCS 1384

Eufaula (PCS 1384)
ex-PCS-1384
Call sign:  November - Tango - Quebec - November
PCS-1376 Class Patrol Craft Sweeper:
Laid down 9 April 1943 as PC-1384 by the Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, NY and reclassified PCS-1384 the same month
Launched 7 August 1944
Completed and commissioned USS PCS-1384, 8 September 1944 under the command of LT Robert Train, USNR
Named Eufaula 15 February 1956
Acquired in 1961 by Five Star Enterprises, Inc. of San Francisco, CA and renamed MV Kanaloa
Operated in 1967 under the Honduran flag
Fate unknown.

The note may have the incorrect hull number as there were plenty of sub chasers transferred to the South Korean Navy in the 1950-1960's period.  It was always a sight to enter the inner harbor at Chin-Hae South Korea.  When you made the last turn and could see into the basin, there was the WWII US fleet of 'small boys', PCE's. PCS's, LST's DE's etc.

LE LOUP DES MERS

I asked the guy I bought it from however, he has no way of proving it. The only way I could think of proving it would be to look the name up and see if it matches the ship listed on that paper and what not. Unless there's a way to somehow ask QM53 Myron perry if he's even real and if that story isn't made up to begin with.

LE LOUP DES MERS

I see a pcs 1384 so unless like you said it's completely made up or the info is wrong and it's supposed to be pcs 1384

Salvage Sailor

It is a nice pennant, certainly an original USN, just difficult to attribute to the "South Korea" statement.  Taken at face value, I'd say it's a personal keepsake and could have been kept by a Korean war era Quartermaster.  It will look very nice when framed.

LE LOUP DES MERS

Ok thanks, originally I thought about framing that paper with the pennant but I'll probably just toss the paper out now we know the story can't be proven.

dhcoleterracina

If you frame it, just put the paper in an envelope and tape it to the back. No harm and you might regret tossing it. 

Also the mark is No 7, the "O" got lost when the grommet was attached. No 7 is a size, nothing to ID the ship. 

• 2 months later...
LE LOUP DES MERS

Here is the finished result, it was about $450 ish to get it framed. But it came out really nice, sorry couldn't get the lighting right for the picture. The guy lightly sewed the flag to the frame he also raised the glass up so it's not touching the flag, so the flag won't rot in the frame.

IMG_20230102_160517~2.jpg

IMG_20230102_160545.jpg

IMG_20230102_160614.jpg

LE LOUP DES MERS

Yes, it does actually put a smile on my face when I see it. The guy did a really good job, he also gave me a discount. The frame is a $600 frame but he had it left over from another project so total with frame and everything came too about $450.