638th Aero Squadron, 5th Pursuit Group Unit Insignia

epsomgreen

Hello.  New to the forum, and debated whether it would be more appropriate to post this under REAL OR WHAT?  Hope I haven't erred.

I purchased the attached, believing it to be a reproduction, to augment a display of artifacts once belonging to 2nd Lieutenant John C. Duncan of the 638th AS.  Duncan is credited with designing the black cat insignia.  The Duncan group came with an unused sheet of stationary in which the black cat served as the letterhead.  I have no expectations that the cloth insignia is genuine, but I would be interested in seeing how comparable authentic patches are constructed.  The provenance of my patch was eBay, but it didn't appear to be the work of the typical cottage industry of fakes.  The patch has not been UV tested. 

Best regards,

Charles

638th.jpg

638th-Letterhead.jpg

About the best I can say:  Based on construction it appears to be made from period materials and machine sewn in a fashion consistent with work done during the era.  That statement in-and-of-itself is not a statement regarding the authenticity of the patch.

WW1 patches have been a minefield for decades, and the fakers have built a cottage industry buying period sewing machines and cutting apart old uniforms and felt pennants.

Given that it has no solid attribution, it would be next to impossible to 100% ascertain its authenticity.  

Chris

Thank you, Chris.  I appreciate your assessment, which is far more expert than mine.  At least the patch isn't the obvious disaster I was expecting it to be.

• 3 months later...

Here's a comparison of the only authentic 638th patch that I have come across next to a fake. The skill of the maker of the patch that I (and others) believe is authentic is evident. 

Charlie

WW1 638 Aero Front.jpeg

WW1 638 Aero Rev.jpeg

Hello Charlie:

The unit patch you shared confirms what I have always suspected about mine – fake.  The original is breathtaking.  If it is yours, heartiest congratulations!  👍  Should you ever tire of it, please think of me.

Best regards,

Charles