Medals featuring real places

Sumserbrown

This thread I dedicate to Dennis (bertmedals) who I always find to be a great source of inspiration and knowledge, and in this case the source of a light-hearted bit of fun for us all.

It comes out of a posting he made last year where he mentioned that he really liked the Newport News, VA WW1 Town & County medal because it featured the arch that still stands there (pictures stolen from Dennis' post).

So, here's a fun game; what other medals do you have that feature pictures of real places?

Rob

1459276193_NewportNewsObverse.jpg.92ce762bdd50d66188da9c96e70adede.jpg

101661460_NewportNewsVictoryArchCurrent.jpg.42921aab0cfdf542cbe2d652a3f964e0.jpg

So, to kick it off, here is my first offering, the British medal called Khedive's Star 1884 for the Egypt campaign featuring the Pyramids and Sphinx

3 obverse.JPG

202202231223112311.jpg

Here's one that is similar to the Newport News, VA medal. This is the New Orleans 9th Ward WW1 service medal that features the New Orleans Victory Arch which I believe is also still in existance.

Dennis

20211105_085743 3.jpg

20211105_085818 3.jpg

New Orleans Victory Arch.jpg

This is the Flemington, NJ WW1 service medal.  It uses the Hunterdon County, NJ courthouse, which is located in Flemington, on the obverse.  The courthouse is still standing and I believe is still used as the county courthouse.

Flemington NJ Obverse.jpg

Flemington NJ Reverse.jpg

Hunterdon County NJ Courthouse.jpg

The Japanese medal commemorating the 2600th anniversary of the reigning dynasty (1940) features the Nijubashi bridge and the imperial palace grounds in Tokyo

40 obverse.JPG

Tokyo-Imperial-Palace.jpg

49 minutes ago, bertmedals said:

This is the Flemington, NJ WW1 service medal.  It uses the Hunterdon County, NJ courthouse, which is located in Flemington, on the obverse.  The courthouse is still standing and I believe is still used as the county courthouse.

Flemington NJ Obverse.jpg

Flemington NJ Reverse.jpg

Hunterdon County NJ Courthouse.jpg

I like that Flemington medal, that's a great one. Not seen that before and it doesn't look like a very easy one to find (given what I have just read in Small). Nice one!

This is the Norton, MA WW1 service medal.  It uses the "House of the First Minister" on the obverse.  I think this refers to the home of Reverend Joseph Avery who was the first minister of the First Church of Christ in Norton (about 1711, I believe).  This house may also be called the "Campbell House" due to a later occupant.  This house may still stand on Main Street in Norton but I have seen at least one reference saying that it was demolished in 2019. 

The attached PDF contains a line drawing of the house taken from the "Norton Bicentennial Souvenir Program". Perhaps there is a Forum member from that area who can confirm whether or not the house still stands. 

Norton MA Obverse.jpg

Norton MA Reverse.jpg

Avery House Norton MA.pdf

The reverse of the WWI Town and County medal for Greenwich, CT features the top of the steeple of the Second Congregational church.

439 reverse.JPG

2ndconggreenwich.jpg

6 hours ago, Sumserbrown said:

The reverse of the WWI Town and County medal for Greenwich, CT features the top of the steeple of the Second Congregational church.

439 reverse.JPG

2ndconggreenwich.jpg

Thanks for posting the Greenwich medal. It's one of the great town and county medals especially because of the steeple and the words on the reverse "Service in a Righteous Cause".

2 hours ago, MasonK said:

The Army of Occupation medal features the Ludendorff Bridge on the obverse, and Mt Fuji on the reverse. 

14 Army Oc.jpg

43691762_303.jpg

SG010_6.webp

Excellent! I knew about Mt Fuji of course, bit I did not know that was the Ludendorff Bridge. Every day is a school day.....

collectsmedals

Commemorative Medal for the Allied Armies entrance into Naples in 1943, with the Naples pier and Mount Vesuvius in the background.

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

collectsmedals

G.A.R. 44th encampment medal Syracuse New York June 1910, with the Syracuse Soldiers and Sailors monument.

IMG_1483.JPG

Soldiers_&_Sailors_memorial_in_Syracuse_NY,_USA_1910.jpeg

The Arras 1914-1918 commemorative medal features the Hotel de Ville (town hall) in La Grand Place, Arras. 

The city in NE France was a several years a salient held initially by the French and then the British. Being so close to German lines it was heavily bombed and almost destroyed, with troops sheltering in the many medieval cellars under the city. As part of the joint Anglo-French Nivelle Offensive in April 1917, the Battle of Arras as designed to push the frontier east and in preparation tunnellers linked the cellars with ancient underground chalk quarries into a virtual underground city with accommodation, hospitals, electricity and narrow-gauge railways. You can tour part of these tunnels now and it's a fascinating place to visit if you're ever in the area.

377 Obverse.JPG

377 reverse.JPG

city-guide-arras_2_belfry.jpg