U.S. NAVY Victory model

Boy Howdy

This was in my uncle's attic and the weather finally cooled off enough to to allow some looking. My Aunt knew it was up there but no idea where. The original shoulder holster is floating around too and when found I will post pictures.

Serial number is V39XXX.

I just have to have an FFL transfer it to me and it's all mine.

IMG_20221004_115815008.jpg

IMG_20221004_115835066.jpg

IMG_20221004_115852641~2.jpg

Charlie Flick

BH:

If you would like to have a good estimate as to when it was shipped send me a PM with the complete serial number. Is there an S on the butt opposite of the serial number?

Charlie 

PM sent Charlie

3 hours ago, Charlie Flick said:

BH:

If you would like to have a good estimate as to when it was shipped send me a PM with the complete serial number. Is there an S on the butt opposite of the serial number?

Charlie 

PM sent 

Charlie Flick

Hello BH:

Thanks for providing me with the complete serial number via PM.  That allowed me to check the Victory Model Database and determine that your grandfather's Victory likely shipped from the S&W factory to the Navy in July, 1942.

I hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie

Just to clear this up...

My uncle purchased this revolver from a WW 2 pilot in the 70's. Unfortunately there was no paperwork with it to indicate who he bought it from. I do have an associate who may be able to back trace the serial number to the person who sold it to my uncle. On the original permit the name of the seller is the salesman at the gun store who did the transfer. Interesting thing about that is the name on the permit as the "seller" is my father who worked at a gun store way back when . Boy, was I surprised. So was my aunt.

Small world.

Very nice, congrats on your new Victory and especially a NAVY marked one!  Hope to see more pics when you locate the holster! Keep your eye open for other accessories while you search the attic.. there could be some more goodies.

You know it!

10 minutes ago, digi-shots said:

Very nice, congrats on your new Victory and especially a NAVY marked one!  Hope to see more pics when you locate the holster! Keep your eye open for other accessories while you search the attic.. there could be some more goodies.

One thing about the holster I find interesting is the ammo loops. The Victory Model holds 6 rounds but there are only 10 loops for spare ammo. Is this common? Anyone else have 10 loops on their holster?

BTW I treated the holster with a gentle hand applied coating of Pickards. Still very supple and looks better.

There was no relative conformity to the loops applied to these shoulder holsters, to also include materials and methods used. You will observe anywhere from no loops to six loops upwards to 26, even and odd numbers relative to the capacity of the revolver. A possible scenario is six ball and four tracer, also it has been observed to carry all tracer, pick your poison. Try a google search and I'll bet you'll see many variants of the loop applications.

Circling back for a moment, the ammunition loops were added at a local level via a parachute loft. Technically the .38 revolver was adopted by the BuAer as a survival tool to sustain life after forced landings or at sea, also used for self defense in the respect of aviation. With that in mind, it was additionally repurposed as a pyrotechnic signaling device with the adoption of tracer ammunition. Ball, along with tracer, was standard issue with the pistol later in service life once the tracer was in circulation by the end of 1943. 

The .38 Special S&W, the Victory and its relatives, require to be reviewed through a different lens than other militia small arms. It could be broken up in two primary groups, first as a police or security small arm and second being that of an emergency item. Of the latter, simply being armed provides an element of security. Native populations were not always immediately friendly, having that firearm could prevent that airman from being "rolled" or robbed, at least its visual lends reluctance by said natives encountered. In this aspect one is not entirely vulnerable. There are multiple accounts of stand offs, having to draw their pistol because of shady encounters. Some believed having their pistol saved them from being stripped of everything they had. Dually, there was the potential of running into Japanese patrols or the like, fire and scram, a self defense mechanism. Additionally, the BuAer required a small caliber pistol better suited for killing game and shooting fish or sharks. The concept being one would only use the pistol in an extraordinary event, round capacity and volume, and knockdown power was not required. On the other hand, once issued, individuals envisioned having the potential for a fire fight hence loading up on ammo via the loops on the holster, belts, pouches etc. Tracer ammo was a convenient and adaptable application to its prescribed function. This lens or perspective I think has been kind of overlooked in the history of the .38 Special or Victory model pistol that met the needs of the BuAer. To be clear, it is only part of, another consideration was not to interrupt production schedules for the .45 Auto. In short summary, the BuAer wanted a security emergency weapon which the .38 Special was already occupying that role making for an easy transition placing it on allowance for aviation purposes, and served well. 

It looks like this Navy SEAL may be using one way past WW2.

His name is Gurio Vincenti and he was verified by Don Shipley as the real deal.

Screenshot_20221016-133253-537.png

58 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

It looks like this Navy SEAL may be using one way past WW2.

His name is Gurio Vincenti and he was verified by Don Shipley as the real deal.

Screenshot_20221016-133253-537.png

There is a universe of S&W and I'd wager that is a Model-10 and not a "Victory" .38 Special. The Model-10 was a type procured in the Vietnam era. 

Steve Brannan

I was on Navy Swift Boats in Vietnam 1969-70. Every Swift Boat carried 2 WW2 era Victory Model .30 Special Revolvers that were used while boarding and searching Vietnamese fishing boats. I remember when we lost one overboard it was replaced by a brand new S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Special. There was a lot of paperwork to justify the legitimate loss of the Victory Model. 

19 minutes ago, Steve Brannan said:

I was on Navy Swift Boats in Vietnam 1969-70. Every Swift Boat carried 2 WW2 era Victory Model .38 Special Revolvers that were used while boarding and searching Vietnamese fishing boats. I remember when we lost one overboard it was replaced by a brand new S&W Combat Masterpiece .38 Special. There was a lot of paperwork to justify the legitimate loss of the Victory Model. 

That is some pretty interesting information. Thank you Steve Brianna.

Finally picked it up from the dealer.

Some more pictures. 

Unfortunately the grips don't match the serial number.

IMG_20221017_180047285.jpg

IMG_20221017_180108449.jpg

IMG_20221017_180541762.jpg

IMG_20221017_180715199.jpg

IMG_20221017_180728368.jpg