RR M1911A1 Pistol direct from the vet himself.

spagg

I will have more info from the vet himself when they arrive back in Prescott around May of next year. They do not like the cold weather here so they stay down south for the Winter. Jacks wife said she will put  all his discharge papers together with everything else Jack has keep over the years for me, so I may go down south to pick it all up when she has it all together. The 1911 was built in late 1943, Jack enlisted in early 1945 and was a MP. Then served in the Korean conflict as well as a Pilot in the USAF. His instructor was Gus Grissom and has documentation of this!  The 1911A1 has all the correct parts and markings, barrel stamped HS. This is by far the nicest 1911 I have had in hand by far.

IMG_5316.jpg

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

spagg,  that is a really good looking Rand, and thanks for sharing the picture and the information you have included about Jack

IDK why I ever click these posts that have 1911A1 in the topic.  They make me super jealous, I need to buy one of these pistols one day.  Id be happy with a regular ole shooter.     This is a very nice example and he did an excellent job preserving it all these years.

On 10/5/2022 at 1:12 PM, Dan53 said:

spagg,  that is a really good looking Rand, and thanks for sharing the picture and the information you have included about Jack

Hopefully, Jacks wife will get his whole story together for me to share soon. Can't wait, I have a real nice over sized shadow box just waiting! The story about then in full Virgil I. Grissom byname "Gus" Grissom as his flight instructor is just out of sight. I only had about 2 hours with Jack and his Wife before they headed down south for the winter.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, mohawkALSE said:

IDK why I ever click these posts that have 1911A1 in the topic.  They make me super jealous, I need to buy one of these pistols one day.  Id be happy with a regular ole shooter.     This is a very nice example and he did an excellent job preserving it all these years.

You can find them at most Gun shows but just shooters are getting close to the $1500.00-$1800.00 range now. I just got real lucky running into Jack. He didn't want a whole lot for his 1911 just happy to see someone who would display it and enjoy it. What is shocking that none of his kids were interested!

Beautiful piece! The only vet-acquired one I had was used within an inch of its life. 🤣

When I was writing my book, I visited 121 veterans and/or their families. I was shocked that I found exactly _zero_ bring-back weapons. I got a story of one bring back fully-automatic weapon, but I didn't dig further into it...there are things best left not known about. :) 

3 hours ago, Dave said:

Beautiful piece! The only vet-acquired one I had was used within an inch of its life. 🤣

When I was writing my book, I visited 121 veterans and/or their families. I was shocked that I found exactly _zero_ bring-back weapons. I got a story of one bring back fully-automatic weapon, but I didn't dig further into it...there are things best left not known about. :) 

Dave, I didn't ask Jack how he got it home, just glad he did.

Your welcome. More to come in a few weeks.

• 5 months later...

Johns step father was Lieutenant Colonel Oliver B. Andrews. During WWII Lt. Colonel WWII Andrews served on General Dwight D. Eisenhowers staff as a communication officer. Lt. Colonel Andrews gifted the 1911-A1 to John who keep it until transferring ownership to me. John for so reason goes by Jack his nick name today. It's all documented to me via this letter we both signed. The 1911A1 has never been fired!

IMG_6775.jpg

• 1 month later...