EAME Ribbon With 3 Arrowheads?

otter42

Has anyone ever seen this done before? Paratrooper was in 9 campaigns. Ribbon bar has 3 arrowheads, 1 silver and 1 bronze for a total of 9. Thanks for any input. 

20221003_092320.jpg

20221003_093025.jpg

I've not seen that before. Probably done in error, a misinterpretation of the regulations , or enormous pride in participating in three Arrowhead qualifying combat jumps within campaigns. So, he substituted bronze arrowheads for bronze stars and figured nobody would care.

Not at home to snag a photo, but I have at least one (perhaps two) ETO ribbons sporting two arrowheads, so not completely unheard of in my book. 

Kyle 

When I put together my Great Uncle's Campaign Medals (He was in the ETO with 1st Division - 33rd FA) - He made landings in North Africa, Tunisia, and Normandy - I added 3 arrowheads, and 1 silver and 1 bronze star to represent his 6 Campaigns in the ETO to the suspension ribbon of his ETO Campaign Medal - He received his 2nd wound in Belgium in December 1944 and after he recovered he served with a "behind the lines" Ordanance Company.

Bill

On the original group, I'm seeing an NDSM, so this was worn quite a few years after WW2. At that point, the wearer was probably relatively senior and might have been one a few left that actually participated in multiple invasions. He was probably very proud of what he did and didn't mind disregarding regulations in order to show his experience...after all, who was going to call him out on it? 

Or...since it looks like these are in a display, it could be someone who didn't know the regulations and added the arrowheads, assuming they were correct. Or it could have been the vet putting them together and decided "I'm not wearing these, so who cares???" So many options...

On a side note, regarding regulations and displays...when I retired from the Navy, I had my medals mounted in two rows of six...not in accordance to regulation. The reason I did that was 1) I thought (and still think) it looks better and 2) it fits better in my display frame. UltraThin, who mounted them for me, informed me that I was requesting something contrary to regulations, but after I told them that I was mounting them for display and not wearing, they were fine...as long as my money was good, they were willing to mount them in any manner I wanted. :)

Given that there are no campaign stars on the Korean Service Medal when he has a second CIB, I'm assuming there are missing devices on at least one of the ribbons. Not at all bashing the setup; just confirming that whoever put it together wasn't knowledgeable of or keen on following regulations. 

Thanks for your input Dave. Here's another custom made ribbon group from him, and looks like 3 bronze stars and an arrow head. Kindcof looks like the silver device was removed. Still nothing on his Korean. 

20221004_115116.jpg

One wonders if he got out/ made the rack(s) before the campaign star eligibility was announced, which might explain why they were left off the KSM. 

• 5 months later...