1/35th Ersatz Neubaufahrzeug [PzKpfw V/VI (A)] // VisMod M3 Lee training tank

Story

VisMod M3 Lee tank - check out this video first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taHFUKKKmJM

For clarity's sake, I refer to this as a LEE because the original TAMIYA offering (almost 50 years old at this point) was a Lee/Grant kit with the only difference being the turrets. Savvy?

I found this early VISMOD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vismod) M3 training tank fascinating, as it was obviously based on the Neubaufahrzeug (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neubaufahrzeug). When I started reading up on the original, two things stood out; 1) Pictures of the Neubaufahrzeuge were displayed with different turret models and orientations to fool allied spies and 2) American and Soviet agents independently reported that the Germans had two new heavy tanks, the Panzer V and VI.

So if more than one American copy for training purposes were fabricated, chances are that they mirrored the differences the Nazis released in their propaganda.

I'd been examining the Elements of Style used on the movie star version. See what I mean? 

Lee9 notes.jpg

lee3 revisit crop.jpg

lee3 notes.jpg

drawing.jpg

Elements of Style.jpg

Fast forward - uncovered a sad TAMIYA M3 Grant (1974) build by someone else.   Breaking it down, I started to see where this could go - TAMIYA Centurian sideskirts, a TESTORS M3 Lee Cupola...

GT 3 crop.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg

A riveted box superstructure to replicate the faux main turret. So with the first pile of donor parts laid out, it went from British to fake German colors.

IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5794.jpg

Then the sub-components were roughed out, the VVS suspension requiring spacers on the upper arms to the side skirts would mount verticle. 

IMG_5796.jpg

IMG_5797.jpg

So, as with any of these cockamammy projects we reach the first real hurdles. The ersatz glacis is roughed out thusly but I'm stuck on what to use to replicate that riveted box that replaces the 75mm sponson. There's also the issue of the fake sub-turret and the 'main turret guns'.

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

This is where you guys in the cheap seats get to weigh in - or even offer bits from your spares boxes - for that gozinto this project.

Funfact - the tank commander/narrator was Dick Purcell, the first CAPTAIN AMERICA!

Hes a tanker he should know.png

Dick Purcell CAPTAIN AMERICA.png