Sherman tank vs. the Flak 88

robinb

The Sherman was designed for infantry support, which it did very well.  It was not designed to combat heavy tanks, like the Tiger, which was designed as a tank killer.  The disparity in the size of the gun carried by them makes sense in that light. 

• 2 months later...

not a fair fight but More than 50,000 Shermans were produced between 1942 and 1945

vs

"Tiger I production ran from July 1942 to August 1944, with 1347 built. After this Henschel built 490 Tiger IIs until the end of the war" 2000 total

tiger 8.8 cm KwK 36

total of 6000 panthers were built (7.5 cm KwK 42 L/70)

so 50,000 vs 2000 tigers and 6000 panthers

Persian Gulf Command

Also doing the "Math", must consider that all U.S. materials had to be shipped on ships across the Atlantic Ocean w/ U-Boats. The US had a lot of Logistic Consideration that had to be considered, in all their War Discissions.

I've driven from Dresden to Berlin and from Hamburg to the Ardennes Forest to Calais. You can do it all in two-three days taking your time to enjoy the sights, or in a day non-stop.  

Oh, and remember, the Allies won! Even with the German wanting to do everything "Bigger". 

1 hour ago, mdk0911 said:

not a fair fight but More than 50,000 Shermans were produced between 1942 and 1945

so 50,000 vs 2000 tigers and 6000 panthers

Don't forget the 40,000 T-34's...Germany had plans for the Panther earlier in the war, but I suspect they thought things in the east would be completed before needing them....Many don't realize Hitler was slowing war production and decreasing the number of panzer divisions when things were going well early on in Russia....This and the enormous man-hours it took to build a Tiger tank....About 54,000 man hours per tank on average over whole production run., varying between 28,000 hours and 117,000 man hours.....You could build eight T-34's in the time it took to build one Tiger....Bodes

2 hours ago, Story said:

That 75mm round has it's lineage back to the M1897 75mm field gun and the M72AP round is what - 1941/42?

Might be a fairer comparison to line the 88mm up with the 76mm.

76mm M62A1 APC WWII Sherman Tank round - FIREARMS - U.S. Militaria Forum (usmilitariaforum.com)

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/336195-76mm-m62a1-apc-wwii-sherman-tank-round/

This link shows an 88mm round with a similar Sherman tank 75mm side by side...The pictures are copyrighted so I was unable to paste them in my post....Bodes

http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/usa5/75mm/index.html

• 3 weeks later...