Pearl Harbor Survivors, and Brothers

ejstuczko

My wife's uncles were US Navy before and during WWII. Both were stationed at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. Chester Stoklosa was aboard the USS Medusa, a floating fix-it shop, anchored in Middle Loch west of Ford Island. Joseph Stoklosa had shore leave and was making his way back to submarine he was assigned to when the attack started. The Medusa crew were credited with downing two Japanese planes and aiding sailors in water and rescuing some from ships. Joseph did not make it back to sub for 48 hours, manning any kind of weapon he could find until ammo gave out, then searching for another to fire or assist in firing. Both lived well into their 90s and had wonderful families. Joseph did make it back to Pearl Harbor in the 1970s, but Chester never did (I really believe he did not want to relive the memories). 

• 1 month later...

In honor of Remembrance Day, my Great Uncle Paul Fredrich Johann perished on the USS Arizona on his 22nd birthday. Ironically his kin were in Soviet Russia fighting it out at the same time, doubtfully to their liking. Being from Eastern Prussia must have been tough in those days. Thanks for the story of your family

• 3 weeks later...