Name Search Request

BryanJ

I just picked up an extremely nice Cattaraugus 225-Q and on the back of the sheath was the former owner’s name and ASN.  Can any one check if there is any info available on Stanley Levengood ASN 33137518?  Thanks!

Looked up the ASN on the WWII enlistment, but names don't match:

https://wwii-enlistment.com/search/?q=33137518&select=asn&quick-search=1

I think this is going to be your guy . . . one number differnt, so maybe it is faint on your knife?

https://wwii-enlistment.com/record/33187518/

Going with the Levengood . . . Here is what I'm finding. 

His PA Vet Compensation form was amended, so you'll see the correction -

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

WWII Draft Card:

image.png

image.png

1939 Boyertown High School:

image.png

image.png

The Mercury (PA) - Aug. 1942 -

img.jpg.ac62b866fb9f77a65cc56b50792e077f.jpg

Pottstown Mercury - March 1945 - the article was originally scanned with the edge cut off so this is the best I could do -

202209301043504676.png.5e88febd6e847c566e1ab3fd328ce13d.png

Stratasfan:  Thank you so much.  You are absolutely correct, Stanley F. Levengood owned the knife.  I had missed one digit on his service number and you correctly identified him.  It’s pretty interesting that he was in the Coast Guard stationed in the Aleutian Islands.  This was a very luck eBay purchase, no one else bid.  Here are a couple of photos of the knife.  Thanks again!  The info you provided will stay with the knife going forward.  Thanks for your service Stanley F. Levengood!

BBDBCC5B-F266-4AA4-8830-55B06915F6AB.jpeg

F473E2A9-2840-402A-AF32-5919BA0ED8F9.jpeg

4F98E278-2A85-4592-A143-CE065DE556A4.jpeg

Thanks for the pics! That's super fun to see! I love finding guys who served in the Aleutians. Makes me think about Uncle Harold. :) Very nice knife and I bet you are thrilled! :) I know I sure would be!

BryanJ, great knife. I love those 225-Q knives. They're real beasts. ...and named to boot. They were made not too far from me in western NY, as were a lot of WW2 knives. Stratasfan, wonderful work. You've helped me on several occasions and it's been very much appreciated.

Big time thanks to Stratasfan!  Well, you know, it’s kind of funny about those Cattaraugus knives.  For a long time they got minimal attention.  While other WWII knives increased in value and were highly sought after, the Cattaraugus knives were thought of as a Navy knife used only to open boxes and crates.  However, Bill Walters wrote up a great history of those knives, explaining that they were a general issue field knife just like a Kabar, Mark II, etc.  In reality, the Cattaraugus knives are a beast, heavy duty, and if I had to pick my knife of choice to serve in WWII, it would be a  225-Q.  The one in the photo is as sharp as a razor blade.  

• 1 year later...

Is there a special place or way to get all that info on a vet? All those pics? I just aquired a Catt 225 today that has the name on the sheath. Much of it is hard to read but the name is clear. I found 2 listings for the name so I am not sure which it is. There is what looks like a SN but it comes up no match on the website you have a link to, here in USMF. Thanks.