What types of cameras were used in Vietnam?

ShibaLegend

Salvage Sailor

Canon F-1, Canon FT QL and the Canon FTb QL (the original silver body FTb, not the black one)

Canon_FTbn.jpg.26cb3bfc5f8939f19b7b130904d9ceaa.jpg

I still have my FTb in my seabag, purchased at Bldg A-33, (Navy Exchange) Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan

In the photo below the case is sitting on my Honda seat at right and one of my shipmates is using it to take the photo

IMG_0006.jpg.e51320b5ad14879cc100568feb197e3d.jpg

These cameras were also sold in USMC, USA & USAF PX's

• 2 weeks later...

Any more? A lot of these cameras shown are pretty expensive online. And i don't think i have seen any of these out in the wild.

What about the obvious ?

Many photos taken by US personnel were Polaroids.

A common one at this time was the Swinger.

137CC187-BACD-4376-A207-8256DD773799.jpeg

I do see quite a few polaroids, but for my impression i am mainly thinking about cameras the size of the nikon f. Mainly because if i was around and enlisted back then i wouldn't want a huge polaroid in my rucksack. 

46 minutes ago, ShibaLegend said:

I do see quite a few polaroids, but for my impression i am mainly thinking about cameras the size of the nikon f. Mainly because if i was around and enlisted back then i wouldn't want a huge polaroid in my rucksack. 

If memory serves from the period, a Nikon F SLR was relatively large and heavy and fairly delicate - also quite expensive for the average person. A small used TTL Leica was much lighter and far more durable, cost in the range of $50-100 or so at the time.

Im surprised no one has mentioned it but what about a Japanese camera... Yashica or Petri? They were sold through PX's and even today it's not hard to find used ones for sale with those "Vietnam" souvenir film canister holders or the original receipts from PX purchase. 

Are you looking for an actual working camera or just something for display purposes? Because that will have a big impact on price. 

It really doesn't NEED to work but it would be a plus if it did. 

I actually think i did see a yashica camera in a antique store near me. Think it came with a case for somewhere around 40$. Might need to see about going there this weekend and picking it up... Although i don't remember what model it was, it looked similar to a lot of the cameras shown in this thread. Silver top, black bottom.

Salvage Sailor

We're focusing on the 35mm SLR's and missing the obvious grunt camera...

2960607316_e23d02fe71.jpg.d5c74a77d87ce9b41cebb1134985ab04.jpg

Kodak Instamatic

Vietnam_War_-_Kodak_Instamatic_Camera_Z.jpg.b83625b1508c14ca01593ae2abb58369.jpg

My Dad and I both served in Vietnam in 1970. Dad used his Korean War Canon camera in NAM, and I purchased a Canon Ft QL from the PX. Still have both cameras from Vietnam. 

IMG_2953.JPG

Well i have certainly seen a few kodak instamatic's... Heck, i know where to get one for 5$. 

Yall are seriously making me consider collecting these types of cameras XD. I have always loved the look of old cameras.

Found a instamatic camera...

The port where you put the batteries (which powers the camera) was covered over by duct tape and the batteries were stuck in there for god knows how long... Guess this thing is going to be a display piece then.

But hey, i only paid 6 bucks for it.

20221015_190635.jpg

20221015_190654.jpg

20221015_190700.jpg

20221015_190713.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After fooling around with it for a bit, i don't think it works. The back doesn't want to open and after setting off the timer once it doesn't let me do it anymore. Maybe im just dumb but my hunch is that something broke inside it over the years.

Better photo of the camera.

16677814136128629922093770441190.jpg

Salvage Sailor

press the rewind button on the bottom, flip the rewind crank up and pull up on the shaft to release the spring, the back should open

If not, remove the lens and see if the shutter will work or if something is blocking it.  There may be an old roll of film in the body.

Canon FTb Manual pdf

The 50mm lens alone is worth the $15 bucks so you didn't lose out on the deal

Still cant get it to open.

Shutter (or what i assume is the shutter) doesn't seem to want to work either.