I quote, “Women Army Service Pilot (WASP) wings - aka Women's Auxiliary Service Pilot wings“

Noelle

Yup, the seller got WASP wrong twice in a row.

I’m going to guess that the seller thinks these are original based on the tarnish.  Tarnish makes things look old, but is also easy to accomplish with egg yolks.  I got my hands on a shiny set, likely from 1903 Dude, and made them look like this with egg yolk to put them on a hat.  I’m speculating that’s why the seller thinks these are original because this may be the most obvious repro I’ve come across that anyone who spent even five seconds of research on would find out.  Too bad there are buyers with more money than brains who don’t care to look either.  When I was trying to acquire an original set (which I accomplished, and they now go flying with me—student pilot), I came here before placing bids since this place came up when I was researching. it just really irks me more than it did to see repros passed off as original, perhaps due to how often I see this.  And also, is it a repro when it’s so, so obviously wrong?

I sent the seller some info about this, and encouraged research.  If the seller just genuinely doesn’t know, then I expect the listing to be modified. If it’s willful, then the listing with remain as-is. I kinda expect there will be no changes though, since this is a seller who apparently specializes in historical military stuff, and should know better than to call something original without making damned sure.

2113AE3B-5452-4E33-B2AA-6FF461399F4A.jpeg

A8F8BD76-9A6E-4233-992E-B93D9ED6636E.jpeg

9D9C9D23-958A-4488-A7E4-E6D92438DE2E.jpeg

2CD3B067-05E8-4186-AE3F-116ABA57B868.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Noelle said:

Yup, the seller got WASP wrong twice in a row.

I’m going to guess that the seller thinks these are original based on the tarnish.  Tarnish makes things look old, but is also easy to accomplish with egg yolks.  I got my hands on a shiny set, likely from 1903 Dude, and made them look like this with egg yolk to put them on a hat.  I’m speculating that’s why the seller thinks these are original because this may be the most obvious repro I’ve come across that anyone who spent even five seconds of research on would find out.  Too bad there are buyers with more money than brains who don’t care to look either.  When I was trying to acquire an original set (which I accomplished, and they now go flying with me—student pilot), I came here before placing bids since this place came up when I was researching. it just really irks me more than it did to see repros passed off as original, perhaps due to how often I see this.  And also, is it a repro when it’s so, so obviously wrong?

I sent the seller some info about this, and encouraged research.  If the seller just genuinely doesn’t know, then I expect the listing to be modified. If it’s willful, then the listing with remain as-is. I kinda expect there will be no changes though, since this is a seller who apparently specializes in historical military stuff, and should know better than to call something original without making damned sure.

2113AE3B-5452-4E33-B2AA-6FF461399F4A.jpeg

A8F8BD76-9A6E-4233-992E-B93D9ED6636E.jpeg

9D9C9D23-958A-4488-A7E4-E6D92438DE2E.jpeg

2CD3B067-05E8-4186-AE3F-116ABA57B868.jpeg

nice one or yet repro