WW2 USAAF B-15a mod flight jacket

oddmod

Hi,

I just joined the forum recently, and am feeling my way around trying to get the hang of things. I was going through some older images on my HD and ran across a bunch of pictures of some items that used to have but ( unfortunately ) must have sold off awhile ago. I can't believe I had such great stuff at one point. No wonder I don't remember them, they where too good. Maybe somebody out there has them now.

Some of these formats might be a little weird, so please bare with me while I work out the kinks.

For example I don't think any of those are B-15a mods!

Looks like a B-15, a B-15B mod, and a L-2

post-5673-1235933255.jpg

Hi,

I just joined the forum recently, and am feeling my way around trying to get the hang of things. I was going through some older images on my HD and ran across a bunch of pictures of some items that used to have but ( unfortunately ) must have sold off awhile ago. I can't believe I had such great stuff at one point. No wonder I don't remember them, they where too good. Maybe somebody out there has them now.

Some of these formats might be a little weird, so please bare with me while I work the kinks.

For example I don't think any of those are B-15a mods!

Here, this should be the b-15a mod.

post-5673-1235933564.jpg

Hi

these are all amazing jackets. I have been collecting nylon jackets for a while, but that Test Sample B-15B is really stunning, with bullion Lieut bars. Robert Mitchum wears this exact jacket in the 1958 film The Hunters, which is great for spotting L2s, L2As, various B15s etc. The B-15A Mod also a great one..

If you have any more images please keep posting, especially of the earlier OD nylon gear. How long ago did you find / sell these jackets ? Things like this are unobtainable today.

Thanks for sharing these

I'll try to dig out some of mine to post over the next week or so

Pluto

Hi

these are all amazing jackets. I have been collecting nylon jackets for a while, but that Test Sample B-15B is really stunning, with bullion Lieut bars. Robert Mitchum wears this exact jacket in the 1958 film The Hunters, which is great for spotting L2s, L2As, various B15s etc. The B-15A Mod also a great one..

If you have any more images please keep posting, especially of the earlier OD nylon gear. How long ago did you find / sell these jackets ? Things like this are unobtainable today.

Thanks for sharing these

I'll try to dig out some of mine to post over the next week or so

Pluto

Pluto,

I haven't had any of those jackets for close to 10 years now. Back then I was buying and selling them so quickly, I frequently would only have them in my possession for a little while (and almost never photographed them). Just like everything else though, you don't realize how good it is until it's gone.

Check the uniform forum for pics of the green/green B-15c that came out of a garbage can a few months back though.

AS for other pics, I'll see what I have.

Look forward to checking out your collection.

JC

Pluto,

I haven't had any of those jackets for close to 10 years now. Back then I was buying and selling them so quickly, I frequently would only have them in my possession for a little while (and almost never photographed them). Just like everything else though, you don't realize how good it is until it's gone.

Check the uniform forum for pics of the green/green B-15c that came out of a garbage can a few months back though.

AS for other pics, I'll see what I have.

Look forward to checking out your collection.

JC

Hey Pluto,

Here are a couple of other past glory jackets that I haven't had for a good ten years.

JC

post-5673-1236140101.jpg

Hey Pluto,

Here are a couple of other past glory jackets that I haven't had for a good ten years.

JC

I vaguely remember this jacket, I sold it to Brit, and was sort of apologetic at the time about the "high" price I was asking for it, runs to mind It was $125 or something.

post-5673-1236140305.jpg

I vaguely remember this jacket, I sold it to Brit, and was sort of apologetic at the time about the "high" price I was asking for it, runs to mind It was $125 or something.

Pluto,

I think these two B-15 jackets will just about round out the old (and sold) collection from the archives.

Thanks for giving me a reason to post them.

JC

post-5673-1236184384.jpg

Pluto,

I think these two B-15 jackets will just about round out the old (and sold) collection from the archives.

Thanks for giving me a reason to post them.

JC

Last one.....

post-5673-1236184478.jpg

American Graffiti

Absolutely killer jackets! Wonder where they are now?

Something you don't see enough of on this forum.

Thanks for posting,

AG

AG,

why not add your superb Test Sample to this - it would be great to see if we can all develop this into more of a thread to concentrate on cloth / nylon flight jackets. If there is anyone else out there with nylon please post. I'll get to my buried boxes over the weekend where the better stuff lurks, but in the meantime here is an L2 I have handy - knits are civilian 50/60s sportswear replacements, but I was pretty pleased to find this in a New York surplus store for $100, last September

Pluto

London

post-4733-1236282347.jpg

mistertawny

It's funny growing up in Alameda like I did I saw a lot of these jackets over the years. I use to get A-2's for about $25 or so (in the 1980's) and B-15's for about 1/2 that. Some of the WWII stuff though I wish I would have held onto though. There was a lot of AVG and CBI stuff. One of my dad's friends was AVG and somewhere I know I have all his patches and some of his scarfs and other stuff.

AG,

why not add your superb Test Sample to this - it would be great to see if we can all develop this into more of a thread to concentrate on cloth / nylon flight jackets. If there is anyone else out there with nylon please post. I'll get to my buried boxes over the weekend where the better stuff lurks, but in the meantime here is an L2 I have handy - knits are civilian 50/60s sportswear replacements, but I was pretty pleased to find this in a New York surplus store for $100, last September

Pluto

London

Pluto,

That is a nice one, looks clean too.

It might be worth it to get the ribbing redone with a good wool. Just make sure you have a competent seamstress.

Pluto,

That is a nice one, looks clean too.

It might be worth it to get the ribbing redone with a good wool. Just make sure you have a competent seamstress.

I figured since I was so close to 50 posts, I might as well throw this jacket up also, and get myself over the bar.

I think this a B-15D mod, but it might be a first generation ma-1. No tag, and I can't remember what the subtle differences are between the two.

I figured since I was so close to 50 posts, I might as well throw this jacket up also, and get myself over the bar.

I think this a B-15D mod, but it might be a first generation ma-1. No tag, and I can't remember what the subtle differences are between the two.

huh, didn't appear to load that one.....,

wrong format (not how I intended to get my 50 posts in BTW)....

try this one more time!

post-5673-1236301225.jpg

American Graffiti

OK lets try to get a flight jacket thread going!

Here again is my Experimental L-2A id'd to CMSGT Ralph L. Ramsey, don't know his squadron history. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AG

post-4617-1236366128.jpg

post-4617-1236366146.jpg

post-4617-1236366166.jpg

OK lets try to get a flight jacket thread going!

Here again is my Experimental L-2A id'd to CMSGT Ralph L. Ramsey, don't know his squadron history. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AG

Nice one, AG.

Any size on that?

Is the star gone?

JC

American Graffiti

Hi JC,

no size label fits like a Medium 38 40. The experimental ones didn't appear to have the decal on shoulder.

JDK, super nice jackets, great condition, good size. Very nice.

Keep em coming.

AG

Hi all

I am a new guy on this forum. I am french and an enthusiast collector of USAF and USN pilots gears from the 50's era. Naturally I love nylon and leather US flight jackets. I have not many of them. I will send more pictures of them if it could interest some of you.

(Sorry for my poor english!)

20090111001.jpg

I'll add to this one. Here's a couple I had out. A Sz 44 B-10, and a Sz 44 B-15A. Both real nice and minty!!

047-1.jpg

B-15A

045-3.jpg

OUCH! Those are so nice it hurts to look at them.

JC

Hi all

I am a new guy on this forum. I am french and an enthusiast collector of USAF and USN pilots gears from the 50's era. Naturally I love nylon and leather US flight jackets. I have not many of them. I will send more pictures of them if it could interest some of you.

(Sorry for my poor english!)

20090111001.jpg

Nice collection.

Like to see more.

Nice collection.

Like to see more.

B-15A - HUDSON GARMENT CO. - Size 38

Belonged to a pilot which was named E.R.CARMODY

The flight suit is a 1945's K-1.

blousons001.jpg

B-15D - ROLEN SPORTSWEAR - size 38

From the 46th FIW/513th FIS (Sabre Dog) at RAF station MANSTON. This jacket was found in an estate sale around Manston.

blousons002.jpg

blousons003.jpg

USN Jacket, Winter Flying - AVIATORS CLOTHING CO. - size 40L

First version of the JWS model which was in service at the beginning of the 50's.

The suit is the anti-blackout type Z-2.

blousons004.jpg

blousons005.jpg

L-2A - SUPERIOR TOGS - size 40

The cap is from the 13rd BS in Korea (The Grim Repears) and belonged to a-26 pilot who was a ww2 8th AF B-17 pilot.

The suit is the L-1B version.

blousons006.jpg