Opinions on Union Cap Kepi

The cap looks good, the tag is sort of odd and the printing looks just two bold. It is supposed to be a product by the firm of Murphy & Griswold of New York and looks like their examples. THE HORSE SOLDIER has an original example of the exact same maker made hat on their website for sale, so that would make a good compariso.n The re-enactors gear is getting so good that after a couple of campaigns it looks pretty convincing.  The thing that causes me to pause besides the tag is the line of stitching around the outside of the hat. While they had sewing machines during this time and this is correct, they typically have a longer stitch length and more un-evening spacing and it tends to be not as strait. During the war they were trying to put out thousands of these as quick as they could make them and modern examples show a lot more care and attention to the construction. 

Hello,

I’m in no way an expert on ACW forage caps. I own one and had another that I traded in for my current cap. Unfortunately I’m not able to get to shows to see and handle the originals. I hope that you’ll receive more experienced observations than mine. 
From the photos this looks like the McDowell style cap. Tall body and short rounded unbound visor.
The condition looks excellent but maybe too good?

From what I understand the sweatband should have a crosshatch pattern. I can’t tell from the photos if this cap does?

I’m not sure if this an excellent original or a well made reproduction. I’m cautiously leaning towards original.

I sent you a PM with some info that was given to me concerning forage caps. 
Best wishes for this,

Frank

I'm not a fan of this one, it may be alright, but just doesn't "feel right".  I may be wrong, but I don't like the wool and the lining - both are too close to repros that are out out there.  But again, that's my thought.  Not a "one looker"

4 hours ago, dunmore1774 said:

I'm not a fan of this one, it may be alright, but just doesn't "feel right".  I may be wrong, but I don't like the wool and the lining - both are too close to repros that are out out there.  But again, that's my thought.  Not a "one looker"

I agree! I will not pursue this item