Camillus, NY, USN

Josh

Hey fellas -

I was recently gifted a knife by a neighbor after her brother passed away.  Did some searching online and the blade on this one looks shorter and darker other than other similar knives I've seen.  Not sure if this is blueing?  The handle is also smoother than the kbars and other knives I've sen.  Is this a repair job that someone did a while back?  Or were any knives actually made like this?

Would love to know more if anyone here knows anything else about when it may have been made/issued etc.

Thanks for taking a look!

PXL_20220919_211704173.jpg.8abe47fbc0be08b80fa82fa95a345317.jpg

PXL_20220921_025727945.jpg.57e44de2d7fd39601fc2ddf4814d7d5f.jpgPXL_20220921_030700725.jpg.49ce8661c89fab246f5c3f148a42d6ff.jpg

I can't address the bluing question but otherwise it looks like a nice Mark-1. I believe they predated the larger Mark-2's. Others may chime in with more accurate info. Nice knife. 

WW2 Camillus parkerizing is often mistaken for being blued.  This is thought to have been because Camillus tended to put a more polished finish on the steel before they were treated.  Also the specific chemicals used in the parkerizing solution tends to push the color towards grey in one direction and black in the other.

Both the Navy and the Marine Corps wrote contracts for the 7 inch bladed Mark 2 knives.  Only the Navy made contracts for the Mark one knives with the 5 inch blade.

Thanks all for chiming in.  I was initially hesitant to sign up for this forum and thought I'd just research it myself online.  However I'm glad I did as there seem to be plenty of knowledgeable folks here.  Appreciate you all for taking the time to help me out here.

I've been told by another individual that sharpening is not a good idea as it would reduce the value.  The blade has a good edge toward the hilt but it is a bit duller closer to the tip.  (It appears to have been used.)

On 9/21/2022 at 6:41 PM, Josh said:

I've been told by another individual that sharpening is not a good idea as it would reduce the value.  The blade has a good edge toward the hilt but it is a bit duller closer to the tip.  (It appears to have been used.)

That is 100% correct!!!  Your knife is now a historical artifact more than a usable tool.  Looks like there is a name or something scratched into the leather of the sheath that may be researchable leading to information on the original owner and where he served during the war.