M1881 company grade officers' helmet (Bannerman?)

jasbrenner

I was recently gifted a cavalry helmet that, based upon the photos in Langellier's, Hats Off, appears to have begun life as a M1881 company grade, foot officer's helmet.  I know that my elderly friend purchased numerous items from Bannerman in the 1940s and I wonder if this is something Bannerman cobbled together. The side buttons have the crossed sabers as does the front plate, but I don't know enough about these things to know if they and the chain are correct for this type of helmet or not. The label reads Ridabock & Co., formerly Baker and McKinney. 141 Grand Street, New York. I would greatly appreciate any comments, observations, and insights anyone can give me. 

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Helmet 1.JPG

Helmet 2.JPG

Helmet 3.JPG

Helmet 4.JPG

Yes- “cobbled together”.  These surplus NY State Ridabock helmets are frequently found with Federal insignia.  An officer plate would be two piece (shield and crossed sabers are a separate piece). This helmet has a one piece enlisted version.
Should have a NY State front plate.  

5 hours ago, jasbrenner said:

I was recently gifted a cavalry helmet that, based upon the photos in Langellier's, Hats Off, appears to have begun life as a M1881 company grade, foot officer's helmet.

This helmet body started out as a New York National Guard's Enlisted helmet and later had the other items added.  It was never a federal company grade shell.  Kurt already mentioned that the plate is an enlisted federal pattern as well as are the buttons.  The base (and perhaps the spike) are of an officer's pattern.  The chain was used by officers of both mounted and unmounted units, but something looks a bit off with it (maybe the leather backing has come un-threaded from its folded seam).  The chain also seams to be too short, perhaps a chain to another piece of headgear. 

Thank you all very much for confirming my suspicions. I will not say anything about the helmet's pedigree and it's historical inaccuracies to the donor (he's 98-years old), but, in a way, the helmet has a history all its own. More importantly, it was a gift and that's how I'll consider it.