Dual 37mm-44cal Automatic Tank Gun M3, American Armament Corporation

GatorDoc

Neat weapon with a really twisted history behind it. 

In a single mount it was also the main gun for the other 37mm gun'd Marmon Harrington tank.  A guy in northern NJ brought in three ex-Guatemalan Army gate guard relics @ 1993. 

The guns were probably gorgeous - I vaguely remember brass action covers (reminded me of old Gatling guns) that were torch-cut to demilitarize them.

They were fed by five-round horseshoe clips.

Adam Metal 1993.jpg

Scroll down to the Marmon-Herrington CTMS-1TB1 Light Tank entry for more recent photos of one of the three tanks shown above.

https://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/marmon-herrington.htm

Story,

Thanks for the post.  It sounds like it was a bit of a disaster for a piece of armor.  Certainly not ready for the Tiger Heavies.  I wonder what happened to those tanks that ended up in NJ.  Might be where this plaque came from.

• 1 month later...
On 9/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, GatorDoc said:

I wonder what happened to those tanks that ended up in NJ.  Might be where this plaque came from.

One single-gun version (#791) is on display at the National Guard Militia Museum at Lawrenceville, and I believe the other two went into private collections.

Marmon-Herrington in World War Two (usautoindustryworldwartwo.com) https://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/marmon-herrington.htm

Since your data-plate is marked with an "R" suffix, I think that would indicate it was for the right hand gun from one of the paired-gun turreted models.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:31 AM, GatorDoc said:

Story,

Thanks for the post.  It sounds like it was a bit of a disaster for a piece of armor.  Certainly not ready for the Tiger Heavies.  I wonder what happened to those tanks that ended up in NJ.  Might be where this plaque came from.

Tigers didnt exist then