3rd armored the spear head

jeeplover

got this at a antique shop for 45. these are the best pictures for now i will get better ones when i get established. the laundry numbers matched on the pants jacket and belt. the shirt had a different number. there are 2 patches on it a 3rd and 6th armored. if the collar disc are right he was a engineer. the 6th armored patch is held on by snaps.

100_4303.JPG

100_4304.JPG

100_4305.JPG

100_4306.JPG

100_4307.JPG

100_4308.JPG

100_4309.JPG

100_4310.JPG

12 hours ago, jeeplover said:

according to this there are 39 possibilities. i went through them all none say armored division? should i copy past all the names and see what comes up?

https://wwii-enlistment.com/search/?q=k0020&select=laundryNumber&quick-search=1

Your guy's branch is more than likely going to be "unknown."  For example, here is an enlistment record for a guy who served in the 216th Armd Eng Bn, 16th AD.

286546370_HamiltonEnlistmentRecord.jpg.d956565d4384934e9a141280b8e7fbbd.jpg

What city was the antique shop in?  I would use that to narrow down my search to a state or county.  Also, you know he had to have enlisted probably no later than early 1943 since he had a service stripe.  That will also help narrow your search even more.

Also, enlistment records aren't 100%, so there is a chance your guy isn't even in those 39.

On 9/16/2022 at 1:33 PM, postmanusnac said:

Your guy's branch is more than likely going to be "unknown."  For example, here is an enlistment record for a guy who served in the 216th Armd Eng Bn, 16th AD.

What city was the antique shop in?  I would use that to narrow down my search to a state or county.  Also, you know he had to have enlisted probably no later than early 1943 since he had a service stripe.  That will also help narrow your search even more.

Also, enlistment records aren't 100%, so there is a chance your guy isn't even in those 39.

thank you very muck

On 9/16/2022 at 1:33 PM, postmanusnac said:

i misunderstood you post. i had time to reread it. i can eliminate the ones who enlisted after 43 but all of the branches are unknown. should i look for the component of the army? would it be the same format as the one above? it was purchased in south dakota. so i think any border state is possible to find his location.

Unfortunately unless the guy was pre-war and reenlisting/being called up or from the NG when they were federalized you won’t see their branch filled in.

Your best best is to find someone from SD or close by and find a headstone with a rank on it or something to match it to the uniform.  It is very much a gamble since so many enlistment records are missing, you don’t know if your guy is one of the 39 or if he is one of the missing.  Also there is no good roster for the 3rd Armd which makes it even harder.

• 3 months later...

So no thoughts on this. I asked because I do not have the experience that you guys have finding this kind of information so I want to know am I going in the right direction? Do you think that the roster is a complete roster?

Since you have the last four of the serial, and the first letter of the last name, neither man is your vet. Neither is from SD, either.

Rosters are a tool. They may be incomplete or complete.  Usually there were 800 men in a WW II battalion. There is nowhere near that many WW II names on the "roster" provided.   

Use this in the future. You may have to copy and paste. 

https://wwii-enlistment.com/search

i used the enlistment records search. there are no matches to the roster. so the roster must be incomplete. i have listed below all the names of the vets who's last names start with K. that are listed on the roster not sure what else to do i just feel like i am close. should i send a email to the roster people and ask if they could have missed someone? i also came across this thread and no matches there.    https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/107970-serial-numbers-in-jackets-or-wwii/

the first line in the roster does not specify a company

Kessman, Daniel 19411945 

Kester, Walter 19411945

Company A  

Knoch, George 19411945

B Company

Keeten, Gerald 19411945 

Kortenhoven, Case  1945

Company C  

Krywy, Charles 19411945

Company D

Klemz, George 19411945

Company E

ok i did not see the first line here it is corrected.

Headquarters & Service  Company

Kessman, Daniel 19411945 

Kester, Walter 19411945

Company A  

Knoch, George 19411945

B Company

Keeten, Gerald 19411945 

Kortenhoven, Case  1945

Company C  

Krywy, Charles 19411945

Company D

Klemz, George 19411945