WW2 US Sherman?

27Division18

Don't take this as gospel but, I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was to aid in recognition from the air.  Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Joe

4 minutes ago, 27Division18 said:

Does the star in the circle denote service with the British Army?

Not necessarily.  Both American and some French vehicles used those markings as well.

Joe

After a point it was called the Allied Star.

A curious thing, the German 15th Panzer Grenadier Division in Sicily, Italy and later on the Western Front used this same  White Star as their vehicle symbol, go figure.

I will confirm through one of my WW2 Armor camo books this evening, but I recall US vehicles began applying a circle around the star either during or after Torch, as FO's and aircraft had a hard time distinguishing the German Cross from the US Star at distance. 

16 minutes ago, gap said:

I bet they also made a great aiming point for Panzers and anti-tank cannons! 

Yes they did. Just looking at a pic of a recovered Sherman with two perfect holes right in the middle of the star

• 3 months later...

M4A1,76(W) VVSS

Wet stowage, big hatch with the later M1A1C main gun on an early T23 turret with the rotating loader hatch

Your missing the pistol port door but thats relatively easy to scratchbuild as its simply a round edge square

https://www.theshermantank.com/sherman/turrets-the-are-the-combat-power-of-the-tank/

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/manufacturer/m4a1largehatches/m4a1_largehatches.html

Details of the pistol port

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/pistol_port/pistol_port.html

• 8 months later...
On 9/11/2022 at 11:56 PM, patches said:

After a point it was called the Allied Star.

A curious thing, the German 15th Panzer Grenadier Division in Sicily, Italy and later on the Western Front used this same  White Star as their vehicle symbol, go figure.

Found a real good photo of the White Star used on the 15th Panzer Grenadier Division vehicles, here in Italy, say January or February 1944, Was always curious why and how they could adopt the same exact vehicle Marking as the Enemy's LOL.

15th pz gen star.PNG

15th pz.PNG

• 1 month later...

US star with circle surround was initiated before the invasion of Sicily. It continued in NWE usually as a segmented ring with star because of the stencils used. Solid rings were touched up to mkae the ring solid. You also sometimes see the ring in Sicily painted Drab Yellow FS33245

The reason most Western Allied vehicles used the star was twofold

Common recognition device and most of the Forces being American we had the choice

Previous campaigns some allied forces used the British white red white flash