Bad Medals Still for Sale?

smwinter207

After a big discussion on these medals, they are still listed for sale on his website? So, what was that '500 word' explanation all about? What am I missing here?

S

Screenshot 2022-09-11 105825.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-11 105756.jpg

You didn’t miss anything.

The seller wrote that he has known experts who tell him the medals are good.

So it’s opinion vs opinion.

3 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Understood. Thank you.

24 minutes ago, smwinter207 said:

Understood. Thank you.

You’ve heard of the Fog of War well this is the fog of collecting.

The sellers experts are unknown.

18 minutes ago, smwinter207 said:

Amateur collectors be damned, i guess.

They say "buyer beware" and "know what your doing" to make themselves feel better about screwing someone.  "Its not my fault he did not know what he was buying."  That is the attitude I see far to often these days.  

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

This was Major Charles E, Snyder's mantra. One of the most crooked militaria dealers of all time who openly sold fakes with the retort that his "experts" were better than your experts.

Sadness all around.

Allan

4 minutes ago, TBMflyer said:

No biggie, they're not being sold here so no problems.

Mox Nix

Technically, nothing is sold here. It's between individual members. 

15 hours ago, Allan H. said:

This was Major Charles E, Snyder's mantra. One of the most crooked militaria dealers of all time who openly sold fakes with the retort that his "experts" were better than your experts.

Oh boy, I remember him from when I first started collecting.  He had a mail order catalog Snyder's Treasures I think it was called. So he has a website now?  I'm surprised he is still alive.

8 minutes ago, LuftStalg1 said:

Oh boy, I remember him from when I first started collecting.  He had a mail order catalog Snyder's Treasures I think it was called. So he has a website now?  I'm surprised he is still alive.

Charlie Snyder is deceased...

Charlie died back in 2015, yet he is still a hot topic on many collector boards. His items are still circulating with his infamous Certificates of Authenticity. Maybe Danny could offer CoA's for his medals too?

Allan

34 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

Charlie died back in 2015, yet he is still a hot topic on many collector boards. His items are still circulating with his infamous Certificates of Authenticity. Maybe Danny could offer CoA's for his medals too?

Allan

Ah, no wonder why they’re still for sale. Someone needs to recoup their losses. Makes sense now.

There was a story that in the 1980's the ATF raided Charlie's House and took possession of a crated Nambu Machine Gun - To avoid prosecution the ATF had him give up the names of collectors that he knew of who had prohibited weaponry - The collectors found out who gave them up and Charlie received death threats and was called a "Rat Bastxxx" through the New England area.

Bill

1 hour ago, Allan H. said:

Not related to the forum topic, but for those interested in learning more about Major Snyder and his "treasures." I would recommend this link. https://www.droog-mag.nl/hitler/coa/snyder/index.html The work is extremely well-written and well-documented.

Allan

Was he even a Major in the USAF? LOL.

good ole Charlie, I remember setting up at the Ag hall shows accross from him with all his REAL items, almost as bad as Ed Whinn...lol oh the stories I could tell of his selling.....

Though I be the lone survivor.....I did in fact get some original items out of Charlie. If you knew what you were buying you stood a chance of getting something good among his fakes. The same can be said for a lot of shows, what gets sold there, and some other online dealers.

That Dog was Muttley...

snake36bravo that....for sure. Buy reference books. study what your buying, all of us have been stung over the years. If you collect long enough it will happen to you. I have over 50 reference books and use them constantly. I'm still no expert. 

7 minutes ago, 268th C.A. said:

That Dog was Muttley...

snake36bravo that....for sure. Buy reference books. study what your buying, all of us have been stung over the years. If you collect long enough it will happen to you. I have over 50 reference books and use them constantly. I'm still no expert. 

It seems to me collectors do not want to police themselves. Guys like Snidely should have been shunned from the community. 

Remember that white Herman Goring jacket that lay in the case for years and the Eva Braun brush with the hair still in it ?

Many shunned him but he was also a show promoter and those days were wild and woolly with all kinds of people doing all kinds of things none of which would be considered above board.

Most are gone now and a new era has begun with more transparency and a different breed of collector with a deep pool of information at their fingertips.

The change that’s coming is going to be from the collector and who they decide to deal with as information gets around.

At this point that has been my and others mantra for many years so for me nothing has changed it’s up to me to protect myself.

Didn’t Ed Wynn get in trouble for sticking some guy with a pile of fakes?

Was it the führers’ spike helmet or is that someone else?

As for Charlie Snyder I set up at many of his shows in the 1980s in Maryland and Connecticut and he bought tons of good stuff from me but I never bought anything from him.

He took advantage of me at every turn but also paid up for some good stuff and a couple of times bought me out.

First time I saw him was 1975 at the Valley Forge show and last time I saw him was at Renningers flea market 2011.

Not as crooked as some but much more crooked than most, still boils down to being a crook.