WWII EARLY M1 HELMET - "CHAMPS 45" w 48th CB / SEABEE NAMED INLAND LINER

Paddyd00

Hi Guys

I have obtained a few helms this year but haven't been in a "Posty" mood as a lots been going on.  All good things :). 

I saw this helmet in a Video for SOS 2022 and thought it would be great for a Display Piece. As I was not able to attend I contacted the seller and Voila! here it is. I normally don't collect any "souvenir-y" type lids but couldn't deny this one.

It is an Early McCord with a Lot# of 21A 3.  It as the early stamped Brass Buckle as well.   The Pot has a name on the strap which look like O.R. Hemphill .  There was an Otis Ray Hemphill that received a Bronze Star for fighting the ETO in France and Germany.  But when I was originally researching I ruled him out but I forget why exactly.  I only found 1 or 2 other OR Hemphills.  The Inland Liner is clearly named to Jack F. Lorance. Who was from the 48th Construction Battalion and was rated as a Carpenters Mate 1st Class.  I only found a few Navy Muster Rolls for him from early 1943.  Maybe he was on the 'Canal.  But I don't know.  I also don't know how these two came together.  The celebratory "Champs 45" paint looks old and shows some cracking on the stenciling also in an early font (as opposed to a 1960 paint job IMO).  There are also some specks of red and blue USN type paint splattered about the shell. 

I liked the look of this one and I love to wonder about it.  Seems like an excited GI or Sailor painted this soon after victory and maybe even wore it during his service then.

Thanks for lookin!

Z

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8239.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

IMG_8241.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8251.jpg

IMG_8247.jpg

IMG_8265.jpg

IMG_8264.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8250.jpg

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8225.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

2 hours ago, Luxview said:

I read the heat stamp as 51A 3. A typo in your post?

Very cool helmet :-)

It is not a typo :). I think that is how they stamped the very early M1 models (this one early 1942 perhaps… don’t have My books handy). I am sure there is reference around here somewhere. If you look at the pic of the stamp … this was the way they labeled I believe. 

thanks for the comments !

Z

2 hours ago, Luxview said:

I read the heat stamp as 51A 3. A typo in your post?

Very cool helmet :-)

Yes. It was a typo. LOL. You are correct indeed. Thanks for catching !

Z

Very interesting helmet. I agree it's a fun one to display! Reminds me of those "Two Time World War Champs" T-Shirts they sell lol. Really like the patina on it though!

Just a thought, are you sure that the name on the chinstrap is O.R Hemphill and not O.N. Hemphill?

Would be interesting if you could link the two men to figure out how the two came together, otherwise it could just be they were paired later down the road.

3 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

Very interesting helmet. I agree it's a fun one to display! Reminds me of those "Two Time World War Champs" T-Shirts they sell lol. Really like the patina on it though!

Just a thought, are you sure that the name on the chinstrap is O.R Hemphill and not O.N. Hemphill?

Would be interesting if you could link the two men to figure out how the two came together, otherwise it could just be they were paired later down the road.

I think the liner or shell was a reissue, it’s not terribly uncommon to see navy sets with multiple names. Mr. Hemphill or Mr. Lorance were likely just thrown a random lid from storage or a rack.

It’s important to note the liner is an early Inland and the McCord pot is also very early. The wear also seems pretty consistent between the two. I’d be impressed if the set was pieced post post WW2.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:26 AM, Nickman983 said:

Haha! Forgot about those … oh eBay … size L please. It could be ON Hemphill as well. I cast a wide Net when I originally researched. Def an old souvenir. Maybe even immediately after is my feeling 🤷‍♂️  

i could see some wisea$$ Philly guy or something wearing the helm in the Navy or something. Shuttling people back home but who knows 

On 9/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, Sneaky said:

I think the liner or shell was a reissue, it’s not terribly uncommon to see navy sets with multiple names. Mr. Hemphill or Mr. Lorance were likely just thrown a random lid from storage or a rack.

It’s important to note the liner is an early Inland and the McCord pot is also very early. The wear also seems pretty consistent between the two. I’d be impressed if the set was pieced post post WW2.

Good thoughts Cam. Defintely an early set. It’s one of those “wonder” about pots 

Z