Can I put Military patches on denim jacket?

AASLT

So I was kinda mocking this up by laying patches in this denim jacket, and I wondered, is this legal? Ethical?

Additional info:

1. I am making a fashion jacket, and have no affiliation with the units listed on these particular patches.

2. I do have patches from units I was in, that I could sew on it, if someone thought that might make a difference.

3. I am NOT attempting to do a “Stolen Valor” thing.. I served in two branches so Im definitely NOT trying to deceive anyone.. I suppose if I were putting SF patches on etc.. that would be deceptive and I would never do that. 

Thoughts or opinions? 

C6C11C4E-AE41-41D2-B568-CC9CD41AAD40.jpeg

Very respectful question, and I think there are similar topics from the past - though maybe not easily found.

In a nutshell, I don’t see a problem with it, as - like you said - you aren’t “claiming” anything.  

There are so many vintage and contemporary examples of this type of clothing that it’s a non-issue.

Any veteran will see that their unit patch is amidst a bunch of other units and branches of service, and should appreciate it for what it is.  If I saw somebody wearing my SSI, as long as they were doing so appropriately, I’d probably give an appreciative thumbs up and keep steppin’.  I wouldn’t sew one on the seat of your pants.  I had a Vietnam veteran buddy that saw his 82ND AB patch on the butt of a pair of jeans, and it made for a very uncomfortable conversation for the wearer.  

Anybody having a conniption about “Stolen Valor” doesn’t understand the spirit of the term.  

Again, just my opinion, wear it with respect.  If somebody has an issue, it’s theirs alone.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I was concerned I might get dogpiled.. the webz is a strange place.

My searches took my to Civil Air Patrol forums where they are pretty divided on a similar subject, but they are “enlisted” so-to-speak and Im retired. So its apples to oranges. There’s has to do with removing velcro patches on one of their uniform jackets thereby rendering it civilian; but some say it can never become “civilianized”, and they give a list of regs and reasons.. blah blah.. 

Having been in the 101st, I have to admit that 82nd story is hilarious 😆

We used to joke with the guys we replaced downrange that AA stood for Almost Air-Assault!

Thanks again for your input

14 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

You can also use reproduction patches if you are concerned about ruining a real patch.

Thats a good idea and the main reason I was going to use these AF pegasus ones rather than the ones from my units that may be harder to find.. still tinkering w/ ideas thanks for the input

Jacket and shirt festooned with WW2/KW patches fresh from the Army/Navy surplus store in South Omaha. Ready to do battle with the Commie Hordes! Check out those liners. Bellevue, Nebraska Nov 1962.

100_3877 (2).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I learned as a kid that you just shouldn’t wear rank or rate patches on surplus or civilian clothing, especially if you have no affiliation with the military. I don’t see anything disrespectful about your jacket at all. Jeffro

• 1 month later...
LE LOUP DES MERS

In America years ago they tried making it illegal to wear or own a modern us military uniform if you never served. If it passed it would have been a felony and up to 10 years in prison. However, it was ruled unconstitutional so it's completely legal. The only time it is illegal is if your wearing a uniform or even just going around and saying you served and trying to make money or get a discounts when you never served. But putting different patches on a jacket is completely legal. 

...what about people that wear old military gear to shooting matches or to hunt? As an old vet myself, I still mix and match and wear old stuff around the place, to shooting matches et al...buddy of mine recently found one of the newer patrol caps at a flea market for $2.....told him if it fit, snap that up, he never served, who cares! My opinion, some people get too worked up over this. Honestly, some of the stuff I see people wearing at political ralleys are more offensive than sewing some old patches on a jean jacket! I'll quit yelling at the kids to get off the lawn now....

LE LOUP DES MERS
16 hours ago, Vanderbilt said:

...what about people that wear old military gear to shooting matches or to hunt? As an old vet myself, I still mix and match and wear old stuff around the place, to shooting matches et al...buddy of mine recently found one of the newer patrol caps at a flea market for $2.....told him if it fit, snap that up, he never served, who cares! My opinion, some people get too worked up over this. Honestly, some of the stuff I see people wearing at political ralleys are more offensive than sewing some old patches on a jean jacket! I'll quit yelling at the kids to get off the lawn now....

Yeah I agree with you, people get worked up over stupid stuff. Now if someone is going around saying they served when they never did to get free money and discounts then ok that's understandable to get mad at.

2 hours ago, LE LOUP DES MERS said:

Yeah I agree with you, people get worked up over stupid stuff. Now if someone is going around saying they served when they never did to get free money and discounts then ok that's understandable to get mad at.

....yeah, around here, I'm on the doorstep of Camp Atterbury. Recently, my wife and a buddy of mine stopped at a local BBQ joint after attending an end of year meeting of our cowboy shooting club. This is a popular spot with the soldiers from there. I was joking and cutting up with an old MSgt and a couple Officers. After placing our order, the girl asked me if I was a veteran, I told her "yes but I have no way to verify it". My concern, many non vets probably just take the discount if asked. That kind of follows what you are saying, that bothers ME more than someone wearing old uniforms or pieces of uniforms.