Newest collection addition - M1840 Cavalry saber

I was finally able to add a nice cavalry saber to go with my cavalry shell coat in the CW collection. Always a good day when UPS delivers a new collection piece!

It's a nice S&K import saber from Germany.

US M1840 Cavalry Saber Display Pic1.jpg

US M1840 Cavalry Saber Display Pic2.JPG

7 hours ago, Bob B said:

Given the knight's head maker mark, it was made by Kirschbaum, not S&K.

Doesn't S&K stand for Schnitzler and Kirschbaum? 

10 hours ago, sundance said:

Very nice saber, Is the shell coat original? It looks to be in perfect condition.

Shell coat is original.

Wow, that is nice - not to minimize the sword. I'd love to have an item of Civil War clothing but, financially, that ship has sailed. I love history and had an ancestor die at Gettysberg so the Civil War has always facinated me.

47 minutes ago, ken1967 said:

Doesn't S&K stand for Schnitzler and Kirschbaum? 

Yes, but Schnitzler & Kirschbaum (often marked S&K) and Kirschbaum (used kightshead mark and also initials K&C) were different companies  .

1 hour ago, Bob B said:

Yes, but Schnitzler & Kirschbaum (often marked S&K) and Kirschbaum (used kightshead mark and also initials K&C) were different companies  .

Thanks for the info. I'll research the Kirschbaum company name specifically.

1 hour ago, sundance said:

Wow, that is nice - not to minimize the sword. I'd love to have an item of Civil War clothing but, financially, that ship has sailed. I love history and had an ancestor die at Gettysberg so the Civil War has always facinated me.

I LOVE the two shell coats in my collection. They are probably the most affordable pieces of CW uniform clothing you can locate. There was a bit of surplus at the end of the war which makes for lots of collectible uniforms today. A forage cap will normally run as much or more than an artillery shell coat these days. 

Here is the current display of the sword with the other CW items I have in the collection. The artwork is Don Troiani's US Dragoon picture (which still works for now since the M1840 was carried by Dragoons during the early Indian Campaigns pre-CW). I have a nice Troiani CW cavalry print on the way to put with this display to maintain the theme better. :)

US M1840 Cavalry Saber Display Pic3.JPG

Ken-

Great items and even better display!

And you are correct about the shell jackets.  They are only obtainable today as they were still available in quantity as “surplus” into the 1950’s/60’s.
I can recall in the mid 1960’s going into Kaufman’s Army Navy (across from the NYC Port Authority Bus Station - and still there today) and always seeing a Cavalry Shell Jacket hanging up on the wall (in the back room, where all their cool collectible stuff was) with a $100 price tag on it. A bargain by today’s standards, but a high price back then. It was there year after year on my yearly pilgrimage to the NYC Army Navy stores with my father.  Rarely bought anything at Kaufman’s as they were too expensive.  The better Army Navy stores were in the “sketchy” low rent district of Lower Manhattan.   That’s where I would blow my $3 budget of a 10 year old. $1.98 of that on one visit was for a mint WW1 Springfield bayonet in WW2 scabbard (from a barrel full of them). Same price for 1874 socket bayonet in scabbard. 
First purchase EVER in my long “collecting career “was 75 cents for a mint WW2 M3 flak helmet. Saw it in the window of a NYC electronic surplus store on a NYC street as we walked by. Can still remember clear as day the price being quoted to me.  Still have it.  Not totally mint anymore, as I kind of damaged the flocked finish on the back when I put a vertical strip of white surgical tape on the reverse just like Lt Hanley’s helmet on the TV show Combat.  Was probably 6 or 7 years old at the time. 

manifestdestiny
On 9/8/2022 at 12:10 PM, ken1967 said:

Here is the current display of the sword with the other CW items I have in the collection. The artwork is Don Troiani's US Dragoon picture (which still works for now since the M1840 was carried by Dragoons during the early Indian Campaigns pre-CW). I have a nice Troiani CW cavalry print on the way to put with this display to maintain the theme better. :)

US M1840 Cavalry Saber Display Pic3.JPG

The shell jackets are wonderful. Do you happen to have any pictures of their interiors? I'm fascinated by Civil War uniforms and the techniques involved in producing them.

This is a wonderful display overall.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, manifestdestiny said:

The shell jackets are wonderful. Do you happen to have any pictures of their interiors? I'm fascinated by Civil War uniforms and the techniques involved in producing them.

This is a wonderful display overall.

No pics handy of the interiors. Sorry.

Ken, absolutely beautiful. On a side note, one of the reasons I never post anything here is proclivity of some to thread count keyboard commando objects to death. It is my sincere belief that one could build a time machine, return to any time period, buy, or pick up an article, and return to the current time post a photo, of the piece, and someone on this forum would say it was incorrect.