71st Airborne Brigade Helmet

Nickman983

13 hours ago, 6th.MG.BN said:

Here is another 71st. painted helmet to add to the tread. One side of the white/red square has eight cut marks, I'm guessing jumps? Remnants of tape across the front of the helmet were painted over and under U/V light TEXAS jumps out at you. Also looks like MAC?. Liner has two names on '71-'74 sweat band.

DSC00177.JPG

DSC00178.JPG

DSC00179.JPG

DSC00181.JPG

DSC00190.JPG

DSC00189.JPG

DSC00184.JPG

DSC00182.JPG

Interesting that it has green hardware/non-para chinstraps. Makes me wonder if it ever had M1C chinstraps. Either way, nice example, thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Nickman983 said:

Nice, don't see a ton of the circle tac markings. Any chance it's named?

Hi @Nickman983- unfortunately not. By the time it reached me it was pretty banged up. I had to put on the chinstraps and chincup, etc. It's been a nice little research project finding out about the 71st AIB.

• 4 weeks later...

Found this on IMA's site. Interestingly the tac marking looks to be a decal rather than paint and the shell is a FB Schlueter with infantry chinstraps. Liner is named to a Cpl. Robert Wilson and there appears to be a couple of newspaper matches for Cpl. Robert Wilson out of Texas around the time of the 71st but I don't have a newspapers subscription at the moment so I can't investigate further so see if it's a match/if there's any more info to be learned. Nonetheless interesting to see another one of these triangle tac marked helmets.

ONJR23CWF31__03.webp

ONJR23CWF31__04.webp

ONJR23CWF31__07.webp

ONJR23CWF31__10.webp

ONJR23CWF31__15.webp

11 hours ago, Nickman983 said:

Found this on IMA's site. Interestingly the tac marking looks to be a decal rather than paint and the shell is a FB Schlueter with infantry chinstraps. Liner is named to a Cpl. Robert Wilson and there appears to be a couple of newspaper matches for Cpl. Robert Wilson out of Texas around the time of the 71st but I don't have a newspapers subscription at the moment so I can't investigate further so see if it's a match/if there's any more info to be learned. Nonetheless interesting to see another one of these triangle tac marked helmets.

ONJR23CWF31__03.webp

ONJR23CWF31__04.webp

ONJR23CWF31__07.webp

ONJR23CWF31__10.webp

ONJR23CWF31__15.webp

Fixed bale without paratrooper enhancements. Maybe a parade helmet?

6 hours ago, elh1311 said:

Fixed bale without paratrooper enhancements. Maybe a parade helmet?

It's possible, but I've got no idea. Not the first of these helmets to show up without airborne chinstraps but I don't have a great explanation as to why.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
etomilitaria

Not sure this specific example with a blue square tac has been posted before. Has the name 'Tipton' on the headband. I just got it in. I will need to get better pictures in daylight. Nice to see these two together!

20240124_092050.jpg.979e8d7eba75beca24fd849f810471be.jpg20240124_092024.jpg.744766eadcf709799725b363cd815eba.jpg