unknown sword

ocsfollowme

My neighbor received this sword in the mail today from a family member stating that it was either a bring back from Civil War or issued. 

What is it? In three minutes of inspection, I could not find any maker marks. 

Thanks in advance, from a patch collector. 

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4798.jpg

9 hours ago, ocsfollowme said:

Wonders when google searching "sword with helmet pommel"

i'm going to stick my own neck out & say I COLLECTORS has it wrong this is a old maternal masonic style sword i've seen dozens of these in the past at shows.

It's a M1830 (or maybe M1840, I've seen it called both) US militia sword.  I have one like it that I researched years ago.  take a small flashlight and peek at the blade under those shield things and you may find the makers mark there.  That's where I eventually found it on mine. 

Let us know what you find.  

Mikie 

This is a later sword.  Note that it has morphed to a more knightly helmet vs the old centurion.  Peterson lists the type as 1850.  A plain sword after the ACW could have been for a number of military association groups or even more fraternal organization. Not to forget cadets.

I have a number of the older Ames and Horstmann swords.  The Mexican war era swords had shorter blades and in the 1850s, we see 25" as more the norm.

An older thread here, linked to a study at Sword Forum International Tim Graham, myself and others explored.

My last adoption is a short plated clam Ames That came from a fraternal cache but one of my favorites a lot plainer from the Mexican war period with a sub 20" blade.  Love me the shorties.1232924903_centurionurngroup006.jpg.2c12256af7d7aff2fe8dae7af87fb4f4.jpg

Cheers

GC719c.jpg.0068a1640cc4585cf9f46b5369465280.jpg2042669864_shrtf.JPG.97060e84c111d8f3d4ca639ccf585844.JPG