Help with this Kabar and it’s inscription from Tarawa

ArchangelDM

A friend picked this one up for me, apparently it was recaptured at Tarawa. The USMC has been taken off, I’m guessing a Japanese soldier took the knife, kanji can be seen underneath that marine green paint. 
When recaptured they painted over the kanji 

The paint is very typical of paint used on marine 782 gear early on. 

If anyone can help, I’s the knife an early one ? Also can anyone read the full inscription. I can’t seem to make out the word after Tarawa. making sure it’s not a post WW2 kabar. 

also demon sea army ? 

any help and opinions on it most welcomed 

D835F00F-53B4-4B80-9951-F6D956C4269E.jpeg

56060547-510A-42F7-8138-A4CA905ABBAD.jpeg

8231816C-4528-448B-ABA8-0C1DCCFB9A98.jpeg

1F8DFC1C-8072-4473-A335-355F02AA88A2.jpeg

A1371659-72B8-4FB1-84F1-67F6216507D9.jpeg

6C73E0F7-0995-4187-8B48-3583D167891A.jpeg

37C2850C-49A7-4E19-A932-5C2C620426FE.jpeg

B6AF279A-DC61-40EF-9725-7792E496619D.jpeg

DC07F715-7C39-4CBB-8677-E3E561B84714.jpeg

As far as the knife goes, I believe it is an earlier WWII variation. Shown in Bill Walters Book II on page 406. Since it has the small handle, it probably had the light grey "Bonderized" blade finish. 

7B-6a-=.jpg

7B-6-rare=.jpg

7B-6-USMC--3-crop==.jpg

That knife wasn't available at the time of the August 1942 Makin raid. How could it have been recaptured from the Japanese in November 1943?

2 hours ago, robinb said:

That knife wasn't available at the time of the August 1942 Makin raid. How could it have been recaptured from the Japanese in November 1943?

That would be correct if under the assumption it was taken at Makin, if the knife was taken in the days of fighting at Tarawa it could have been recovered in the clear up or in a cave etc at Tarawa. 

There are words above the inscription I can't read also a word after Tarawa

8 hours ago, mikedon said:

As far as the knife goes, I believe it is an earlier WWII variation. Shown in Bill Walters Book II on page 406. Since it has the small handle, it probably had the light grey "Bonderized" blade finish. 

7B-6a-=.jpg

7B-6-rare=.jpg

7B-6-USMC--3-crop==.jpg

Thanks for the info on the knife, that helps with some of the research 

I find it highly unlikely that a Japanese soldier captured this knife and during the intense 3 days of fighting on Tarawa had time to write anything on the scabbard. 

12 minutes ago, robinb said:

I find it highly unlikely that a Japanese soldier captured this knife and during the intense 3 days of fighting on Tarawa had time to write anything on the scabbard. 

Agreed, but possible, Although the inscription is not what draws me too it, it’s the paint I like. 

The initial battle for Tarawa was 3 days, the clearing out of caves and Japanese resistance took several days before the island was actually declared free from the Japanese so there might have been time. 

I would have to disagree. And there were no caves on Tarawa. Not like you would see at Iwo Jima anyway. More like dug outs. Tarawa was pretty flat. 

1 hour ago, robinb said:

BINGO! occams law

I'm a Japanese Sailor on Betio during the battle, would I have time to file off the USMC stamping and repaint the scabbard while awaiting the next USMC assault on my bunker? HIGHLY doubtful as I would have much higher priorities and doubtful that my Petty officer would allow me such free time in battle.

1 hour ago, robinb said:

I would have to disagree. And there were no caves on Tarawa. Not like you would see at Iwo Jima anyway. More like dug outs. Tarawa was pretty flat. 

correct more like emplacements and bunkers, although they where dug down into the ground 

JerryTheGerman

To me the inscription reads “recaptured at Tarawa, Demon Sea Army” not sure about the demonic sea army though? Did anyone in the war tree to the marines or Japanese as such?

6 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

I'm a Japanese Sailor on Betio during the battle, would I have time to file off the USMC stamping and repaint the scabbard while awaiting the next USMC assault on my bunker? HIGHLY doubtful as I would have much higher priorities and doubtful that my Petty officer would allow me such free time in battle.

Very unlikely that the U.S.M.C. was removed until after the War.  Unfortunately most times the branch of service or Property of U.S. Government was removed from an item was done by a civilian thinking it's presence would amount to it being confiscated as contraband.