Jump to content

HALLOWEEN Warning order 2022!!


easterneagle87
 Share

Recommended Posts

easterneagle87

Tis that time of year to haunt down those "costume" uniforms. I haven't made it to my local GW, as they "save" all those military items to put out on the costume racks. My locals have put out costume racks as early as the last week of August. I've posted this topic for the last several years and have gotten to see some good finds. I understand we are always on the look out and hunting collectibles, but this is our opportunity to snatch them up before they are taken home and destroyed by either Billy the Nose Picker or the Goth Horde. 

 

Good luck! Happy hunting! and Post your finds when you acquire them! Nothing is too small - a beat up OG-107 or a stellar uniform grouping is all good here!

 

Standing by, 5 x 5 !

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That time again ALREADY???? I always get skunked, but hope to see some of your great finds here.

 

Mikie  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The GW's by me stopped putting out ANY specific adult Halloween costumes, and all the military stuff seems destined for their auctions now too. I used to take off that day and hit the dozen or so of them around me.  :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CavalryCombatant

Oh boy, had a lot of fun with this last year!  Not a tonne of old stuff, but found some decent war on terror stuff.
 

That said, I was at a goodwill in late august for a donation run and happened to come across their Halloween section, prices are getting crazy!  There wasn’t a lot, but a couple of stripped class A jackets for $20 a piece.  
 

Typically a Goodwill that prices things on the low side, so not sure if that’s looking good for what’s to come.  
 

 

Good luck to everyone, hopefully some good stuff will surface this year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KommandoPost

My favorite time of year!  It's been pretty slow so far.  Most halloween racks so far have been nothing but cheap polyester "sex shop" type costumes, not even a humble woodland BDU any more.  I did find a poplin non-ripstop jungle jacket in large short (no patches, no modifications) and this South Vietnamese (?) jacket (separately) though:

1_front.jpg.88c0ea11683b3b2fbc39970c2b25e8a2.jpg2_back.jpg.1ee01002dd2dc777d3db8989e4dd6d97.jpg

size_stamp.jpg.23dfd725a19f75be314ae14d30cd6cbf.jpg

 

Patch remnant on the right arm appears to be an aviator Snoopy, but sadly it was removed long before it made it onto the rack.

patch_ghost_1.jpg.f7aca46c1aef7ef33e75fe2365083ec1.jpgpatch_ghost_2.jpg.ee112f9bc933c0226342efd3f6ef0eeb.jpg

 

The former owner must have been some kind of pilot or aircraft crewman.

chest_insignia_remnants.jpg.29157c7eaa27d3e195c41fa93ef21f99.jpg

 

Same type of jackets were issued to the South Vietnamese Field Police (CSDC), though they were repurposed by SOG Recon Teams like RT Fer De Lance in 1970:

sonnenburg_2.jpg.b5ea35fd61a44ec5d4eb82373d499d0b.jpg

(photo from http://www.modernforces.com/veteran_leon_sonnenburg.htm)

 

I also got this sea bag named to an airman with interesting jet drawings on it.  Someone at a vintage store I frequent had been using it to lug clothes around.

1_main.jpg.35a2f5738d8cdf79bd9fcd8e74eea112.jpg

 

Sabre:

sabre.jpg.ac07a7d3354ce1c98a0454864d6bfc05.jpg

 

Avro Vulcan nuclear bomber: (I thought this was a Delta Dart at first, but the Vulcan was closer)

vulcan.jpg.b02b8b98a491bed8cc40ec703ed46c45.jpg

 

The airman must have been stationed at an RAF base in the 50's.

name.jpg.f1c2acf8d4e4935ea487a5c767e36c54.jpgstamp.jpg.7be5c20694fcf2e26bdf336b9fc70e5a.jpg

 

There's still a month to go, so hopefully more interesting things will show up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KommandoPost

And I forgot about this: a WW2 US Navy Specialist A (Athletic Instructor) uniform jacket with a bullion rank patch. 

1_front.jpg.a36d10e56108bd85239f091275cd3fd6.jpg2_back.jpg.a14daa33062255c14f72f3a5f70dba52.jpg

 

There is a name on the inside tag I also forgot to photograph, but he wasn't a famous pro athlete. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KommandoPost

Here are the rest of the Spc A uniform's photos.

 

Name:

tag1_name.jpg.0a049ca77a1ca8d7640071508c4adb5c.jpg

 

I'm not finding much about this sailor on Google, so I don't think he was a famous athlete.

 

Rank Insignia:

spc_A_rank.jpg.fda2b564ff72bd525342e3916f05703b.jpg

 

Ruptured Duck:

ruptured_duck_1.jpg.39dd5da76a7192f6310f615a92d93b42.jpgruptured_duck_2_back.jpg.f2263fae260531d64c4de15b066cf990.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Inspired by this thread, and it's older siblings, I stopped at a random GW I happened to pass by yesterday and found...  Drum roll...  Wait for it!...  NOTHING! 

 

Mikie  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FT.Monmouth1943
18 hours ago, KommandoPost said:

My favorite time of year!  It's been pretty slow so far.  Most halloween racks so far have been nothing but cheap polyester "sex shop" type costumes, not even a humble woodland BDU any more.  I did find a poplin non-ripstop jungle jacket in large short (no patches, no modifications) and this South Vietnamese (?) jacket (separately) though:

1_front.jpg.88c0ea11683b3b2fbc39970c2b25e8a2.jpg2_back.jpg.1ee01002dd2dc777d3db8989e4dd6d97.jpg

size_stamp.jpg.23dfd725a19f75be314ae14d30cd6cbf.jpg

 

Patch remnant on the right arm appears to be an aviator Snoopy, but sadly it was removed long before it made it onto the rack.

patch_ghost_1.jpg.f7aca46c1aef7ef33e75fe2365083ec1.jpgpatch_ghost_2.jpg.ee112f9bc933c0226342efd3f6ef0eeb.jpg

 

The former owner must have been some kind of pilot or aircraft crewman.

chest_insignia_remnants.jpg.29157c7eaa27d3e195c41fa93ef21f99.jpg

 

Same type of jackets were issued to the South Vietnamese Field Police (CSDC), though they were repurposed by SOG Recon Teams like RT Fer De Lance in 1970:

sonnenburg_2.jpg.b5ea35fd61a44ec5d4eb82373d499d0b.jpg

(photo from http://www.modernforces.com/veteran_leon_sonnenburg.htm)

 

I also got this sea bag named to an airman with interesting jet drawings on it.  Someone at a vintage store I frequent had been using it to lug clothes around.

1_main.jpg.35a2f5738d8cdf79bd9fcd8e74eea112.jpg

 

Sabre:

sabre.jpg.ac07a7d3354ce1c98a0454864d6bfc05.jpg

 

Avro Vulcan nuclear bomber: (I thought this was a Delta Dart at first, but the Vulcan was closer)

vulcan.jpg.b02b8b98a491bed8cc40ec703ed46c45.jpg

 

The airman must have been stationed at an RAF base in the 50's.

name.jpg.f1c2acf8d4e4935ea487a5c767e36c54.jpgstamp.jpg.7be5c20694fcf2e26bdf336b9fc70e5a.jpg

 

There's still a month to go, so hopefully more interesting things will show up.


Really awesome jacket. Looks like it was a short timer patch with an unknown tab below it. Great find!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

easterneagle87

Here is my own contribution. I hit the Sacramento Antique St Fair on Sunday. Clothing wise; 3 pr WW2 1943 long johns, Mint OG-107 Tropical Poplin pants Large/Reg, OG-106 gawd awful baseball cap, OG-107 ball cap w/ AF Col rank, One HBT utility cap - small size, Cotton 1957 utility cap really small size 6 1/2 and last a KW era utility shirt with 2nd Armor breast patch.   

IMG_0702.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CavalryCombatant

Found a neat little CB jacket this evening, seems kind of pricy at $13 but I’m sure someone would enjoy it for that.

 

tons of BDUs and stuff, but for $15 a piece that’s a “No thank you!” From me.

 

 

FC6327B7-E886-41DB-9CD9-CA84B5597817.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your local M1 Garand
2 hours ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Found a neat little CB jacket this evening, seems kind of pricy at $13 but I’m sure someone would enjoy it for that.

 

tons of BDUs and stuff, but for $15 a piece that’s a “No thank you!” From me.

 

 

FC6327B7-E886-41DB-9CD9-CA84B5597817.jpeg

I’m my personal opinion, I don’t really see $13 being overpriced, mainly since the jacket is not just plain with no patches or insignia and it’s a summer version, meaning you can actually wear it without getting incredibly hot, at least that’s the case here in Florida.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CavalryCombatant
11 minutes ago, Your local M1 Garand said:

I’m my personal opinion, I don’t really see $13 being overpriced, mainly since the jacket is not just plain with no patches or insignia and it’s a summer version, meaning you can actually wear it without getting incredibly hot, at least that’s the case here in Florida.


I wouldn’t say it’s terrible, but compared to the $5-8 I’m used to seeing it sort of surprised me.  I would’ve grabbed it if the name/branch tapes were still there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your local M1 Garand
9 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:


I wouldn’t say it’s terrible, but compared to the $5-8 I’m used to seeing it sort of surprised me.  I would’ve grabbed it if the name/branch tapes were still there.

My local surplus store sells a ton of woodland and 3 color BDU jackets for that price, so I can see where you are coming from. Most of theirs are completely plain, which personally I think is better since you have a choice on wha you want to do with the item. Here is a picture of the back of the store: E692745F-FA73-4230-B980-9EE442591691.jpeg.e7480dabb69906b18cf68c8b3149f0ba.jpeg

They also have a very good selection on BDU trousers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MinorInHistory

My local goodwill doesn’t usually have anything good, picked up this from the $6.99 jacket rack a month or two ago though. I don’t really do modern but it was patched and everything so I thought why not. 

F1ECFBC9-C4AB-467F-BD7D-A693336599F8.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rakkasan187
13 hours ago, Your local M1 Garand said:

My local surplus store sells a ton of woodland and 3 color BDU jackets for that price, so I can see where you are coming from. Most of theirs are completely plain, which personally I think is better since you have a choice on wha you want to do with the item. Here is a picture of the back of the store: E692745F-FA73-4230-B980-9EE442591691.jpeg.e7480dabb69906b18cf68c8b3149f0ba.jpeg

They also have a very good selection on BDU trousers.

I like the M249 SAW on the top shelf... 

 

Leigh 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blacksmith
4 minutes ago, Rakkasan187 said:

I like the M249 SAW on the top shelf... 

 

Leigh 

I’ll go $15 on that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought a 1944 dated mint unissued IKE jacket, size 38 for $10......In the same store there was a plastic M1 helmet liner clone for $4....Either a child's toy or European (Belgian, Dutch, etc..) made....Had A-washers with cloth webbing and nape strap....I think it was a euroclone....Didn't buy...Bodes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CavalryCombatant
On 9/14/2022 at 9:43 PM, MinorInHistory said:

My local goodwill doesn’t usually have anything good, picked up this from the $6.99 jacket rack a month or two ago though. I don’t really do modern but it was patched and everything so I thought why not. 

 

I would’ve bought that too for $7!  Despite my disdain for the ACU platform, I’d like to find a representative for my collection.

 

 


I had some luck with a goodwill stop while running errands this afternoon, picked up a complete white-tag BDU shirt for $10, and the guy’s stripped blues For $5.  (Thanks Eagle, haha!). I have plenty of random insignia laying around, including some shoulder boards, so I figured it’d be fun to try and piece the blues back together.  I believe it dates to before the Army standardized them.

 

0082928A-9E9E-44B0-90F5-64A55C41E575.jpeg

D83297F8-6774-4D1E-B897-89FEFA72CBB1.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

easterneagle87

Brown cuff stripe…branch color ….Warrant officer? Any info in the inside pocket? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

CavalryCombatant

I don’t think it’s brown, looks more like a light orange or faded red.  It’s not named so might not go with the BDUs, but among the small number of uniforms at the store the majority of them seemed to belong to the good major.

 

There are tags inside the pocket, although no dates or similar.  I don’t want to eat up the thread so will continue this elsewhere.

C16188E2-7E5E-482C-8A28-086FCE4CD88D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ShibaLegend

Good luck to yall... Haven't found anything worth getting in any of my local GWs and for whatever reason my local salvation army's aren't even open on saturday :/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your local M1 Garand
On 9/15/2022 at 11:42 AM, Blacksmith said:

I’ll go $15 on that.

They said it’s a airsoft, honestly wonder if it’s for sale…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rakkasan187
Just now, Your local M1 Garand said:

They said it’s a airsoft, honestly wonder if it’s for sale…

It is pretty good looking from this distance. 

 

We occasionally use airsoft weapons at the museum when our actual weapons are in storage.. 

 

Would make a good addition to someone doing a Panama display or later era.

 

Leigh 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...