South Atlantic Command

Desertrat

Here's the SE Asia Command. One Question though. Why would there be gray felt sown on the back?

post-2527-1235860157.jpg

post-2527-1235860171.jpg

Either it's a very rare "grey back" or it was originally sewn to a grey felt blanket and was cut off.

Kurt

...One of my favorite Command patches...

U.S. Army Forces South Atlantic was a small but widely scattered command and its SSI is not often seen being worn in period pictures (USMF member Ricardo has posted a few -- maybe he will put them up again).

Here is unexpected sighting of one half way round the globe from the South Atlantic and at least two years after USAFSA was inactivated: These Philippine Scouts were assigned to 76th Ordnance Ammunition Company (PS) on Saipan ca. 1947. The soldier on the far left is wearing the USAFSA SSI on his right sleeve; the corporal (second from left) is wearing the U.S. Army Forces Western Pacific SSI on his left sleeve.

433762979_uWowx-L.jpg

One of my favorite patches is this twill South Atlantic forces patch. I would still like to know if it is theater made or not....

-Ski

post-3043-1235921695.jpg

post-3043-1235921707.jpg

One of my favorite patches is this twill South Atlantic forces patch. I would still like to know if it is theater made or not....

-Ski

Ski-

I've always considered this twill variation to be a U.S. made patch.

Kurt

Here are 3 more variations-

Embroidered on felt up top. Bullion/Velvet lower left. And one possibly theater-made on bottom right. Possibly Japanese-made? It has no OD border.

Kurt

post-322-1235926350.jpg

• 2 years later...
Here is unexpected sighting of one half way round the globe from the South Atlantic and at least two years after USAFSA was inactivated: These Philippine Scouts were assigned to 76th Ordnance Ammunition Company (PS) on Saipan ca. 1947. The soldier on the far left is wearing the USAFSA SSI on his right sleeve; the corporal (second from left) is wearing the U.S. Army Forces Western Pacific SSI on his left sleeve.

433762979_uWowx-L.jpg

I was just thinking about this exact picture. Since Saipan is in the South Pacific, any idea why the Philippine Scout to the left is wearing the South Atlantic Command patch? (But I must agree, the SAC patch has a great design)

post-4247-1315515950.jpg

...any idea why the Philippine Scout to the left is wearing the South Atlantic Command patch?

Good question, Sean.

The "school solution" is that this soldier served with U.S. Army Forces South Atlantic during the war. After all, according to NARA, some 29,000 Filipinos were enlisted, inducted, and/or reenlisted in the U.S. Army between 1939 and 1946. Not all of them served in the Philippines or with the Philippine Scouts before and/or after the war. It is conceivable that this is one of those soldiers, who ended up in the South Atlantic, which would entitle him wear his wartime U.S. Army Forces South Atlantic patch on his right sleeve. Taken at face value, this is the obvious explanation of this soldier wearing this patch in this scene.

Which is not to discount other plausible explanations, such as maybe this soldier simply liked the way this patch looked better than the alternatives. It is a pretty snazzy patch.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...
windedsloth

Just picked this jacket up just because it had the rare patch. 

Might be a name inside "Coppi" is written on the backside of the shoulder cloth on the inside of the jacket.

20210722_200209.jpg