Odd folding shovel cover

MattOravik

I saw this recently and although I didn't buy it, I saved a picture of it. It looks to be dated 1934? Is it a repro with a funky date?

-Matt.

post-137-1235856367.jpg

No, it's real, and we've seen at least one more of these on here before, and I own one as well.

Apparently Tulsa Canvas messed up a whole batch of these before putting the date stamp right - you can also find them dated 1943 from the same company...

Cheers,

Glen.

General Apathy

Hi Matt, I would probably have said you should have bought it, but then that's what I would have done, I always went for these oddities, perfects easy to find, oddities more rare maybe.

There was a thread about a year ago about shovel covers and I think I posted two oddities I have, one a M1910 cover that was printed one side by one manufacturer, then for some reason a totally different manufacturer turned the material over reprinted with his name and pattern and cut it out and sewed it up. The other was a Quartermaster manufactured M-43 shovel cover and made of four different colors of canvas.

It's hard to tell much from the little photo that is available, I can see that you have centered in on the date as it threw you, I would think it's down to a simple mistake by the print setter, he's simply transposed the the 4 and 3, so he's made it 34 instead of 43.

Looking at the finish of the canvas strip sewn in the flap and the light color of the leather strips I would say this is the case, then it would have been a cover from the first year of production, i.e M43 Folding Shovel.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Matt, I would probably have said you should have bought it, but then that's what I would have done, I always went for these oddities, perfects easy to find, oddities more rare maybe.

There was a thread about a year ago about shovel covers and I think I posted two oddities I have, one a M1910 cover that was printed one side by one manufacturer, then for some reason a totally different manufacturer turned the material over reprinted with his name and pattern and cut it out and sewed it up. The other was a Quartermaster manufactured M-43 shovel cover and made of four different colors of canvas.

It's hard to tell much from the little photo that is available, I can see that you have centered in on the date as it threw you, I would think it's down to a simple mistake by the print setter, he's simply transposed the the 4 and 3, so he's made it 34 instead of 43.

Looking at the finish of the canvas strip sewn in the flap and the light color of the leather strips I would say this is the case, then it would have been a cover from the first year of production, i.e M43 Folding Shovel.

Cheers ( Lewis )

I thought that was a possibility, printing error. You can see some oxidation on the metal so I figured it was old and probably not a repro. And I figured if someone was faking markings they certainly wouldn't put an odd date like that on there. Oh well I missed out. I forget what it sold for. I know better now and next time I'll nab it.

-Matt.